More Mysterious Boom Reports
© 2013 by Linda Moulton Howe
“Around 2:30 Thursday, September 12th, there was a large sound,
a very loud sound, outside the west building courthouse,”
but no incendiary device found.
- Lt. Carla Lightsey, Baltimore City Sheriff’s Office
“At precisely 8 PM, September 11, 2013 ... there were two booms ...
houses shook and people came out of their homes looking
around to see what the explosion was.”
- Earwitness resident of South Bend, Indiana
September 13, 2013 Albuquerque, New Mexico - This is a follow up to the September 8, 2013, Earthfiles update about mysterious booms in several parts of the United States. Today on Friday, September 13, 2013, Earthfiles received these additional, mysterious boom reports.
Thursday, September 12, 2013 Baltimore, Maryland - CBS WJZ Channel 13 is reporting “Source of Explosive Sound Heard Outside Baltimore Courthouse Still Unknown. - A booming sound rocked the inside and outside of the Mitchell Courthouse at 2:30 PM Eastern on Thursday, September 12th. Authorities weren't sure what caused it, but as a precaution, hundreds of employees and jurors were evacuated and all roads around the courthouse were closed.
Mitchell Courthouse in Baltimore, Maryland, where police, sheriff, fire
and Homeland Security all arrived after 2:30 PM, September 12, 2013, huge
boom sound heard and employees were evacuated. But strangely, no incendiary
device or evidence of explosives was found anywhere and the cause of the huge
boom is still unknown. Image © 2013 by WJZ-TV, CBS, Channel 13.
Booms in South Bend, Indiana, on September 11 and appx. August 11, 2013
September 13, 2013
South Bend, Indiana, is 75 miles southwest of Kalamazoo, Michigan,
where a huge, mysterious boom on the morning of Monday, May 28, 2012, was loud
enough to provoke residents in four southwestern Michigan counties to call police
and fire departments. No cause was ever identified, but two, 60-foot-tall trees were
snapped off 20 feet above the ground. See May 30, 2012,
in-depth report with images.
September 11, 2013, mystery boom: Thought you might be interested in this. Here is location: N41 degrees 41.590' - W086 degrees 12.118' - Elev 771 ft. South Bend, Indiana, approximately 2 miles directly east of Notre Dame University.
At precisely 8:00 p.m. (I immediately checked cell phone time) on September 11, 2013, a large boom was experienced very close to my home. It was preceded by a smaller boom that sounded like someone had slammed a metal door very hard, then a second later the larger boom sounded. It was like the smaller boom set off the larger one, like ka-boom.
This a residential neighborhood of very small homes. Houses shook and people came out of their homes looking around to see what the explosion was. Everything was perfectly peaceful. No wind either. It gave me a very creepy feeling, especially since at around the same time approximately 30 days ago, a similar boom happened and brought people out of their homes to see what was happening. ... Everyone feels that the booms are directly under their homes when they happen, no matter where on the street they are located.
If any Earthfiles viewers and radio listeners have more information about the mysterious and persistent boom phenomenon, sometimes with bright flashes of light, please email: email@example.com. All requests for anonymity are honored.
See June 28, 2013 Earthfiles: “Mystery Booms and Inner Earth Core Changes?”
Also click here for:
March 30, 2012 Earthfiles: “Mysterious Rattling Booms Expand from Clintonville to Montello, Wisconsin and Beyond.”
For further reports about strange booms and hums in prior Earthfiles reports, please see below from Earthfiles Archive.
• 08/05/2013 — More Unexplained Booms - Earthfiles Viewer Letters
• 06/28/2013 — Mystery Booms and Inner Earth Core Changes?
• 06/07/2013 — More Unexplained Loud Booms
• 05/31/2013 — What's Causing Lakeport, Calif. Houses to Slide and Crack Up?
• 05/13/2013 — Persistent Sinkholes and Unexplained Booms
• 03/28/2013 — Updated: Woodland Hills, CA “Sound of Glass Breaking”; Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY
• 03/23/2013 — Mysterious Booms Over Multiple Counties in Florida and Illinois
• 03/13/2013 — Strange Boom, Ice Craters and “Frozen Waves” in Newfoundland
• 03/10/2013 — UPDATED: “Sound Guns” - Viewer Comments
• 03/07/2013 — More Loud, Unexplained Booms in Bowling Green, KY, Elizabethtown, ILL, and Flint, MI
• 03/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms - A Secret Military Weapon?
• 03/01/2013 — After Mysterious Booms, Why Do Military Helicopters Fly Search Patterns Below 500 Feet Over Residential Houses?
• 02/20/2013 — Part 2: Unexplained Loud Booms and Light Flashes Persist in U. S.
• 02/16/2013 — Part 1: More Earth-Shaking Booms in Morristown, Tennessee and “Shock Wave” Booms in San Manuel, Arizona
• 02/06/2013 — Viewer Emails about Boom Mystery
• 02/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms and Light Flashes Across U. S.
• 01/25/2013 — Updated: Unexplained Loud Booms Persist in United States
• 03/01/2012 — Updated 030112: Solar CMEs Hitting Earth's Magnetic Fields - Do They Make Strange, Loud Sounds?
• 02/28/2012 — Strange Sounds in Washington State
• 02/09/2012 — Updated Feb. 9: Eerie, Strange Sounds Heard in Tennessee and Kansas
• 02/04/2012 — Video of Kiev-like Strange Sound in Amarillo, Texas: What Happened?
• 02/02/2012 — Updated: Earthfiles Email About Mysterious “Chorus of Trumpets” and Other Strange Sounds
• 12/31/2011 — Updated - Part 1: Earthfiles Mail About High Strangeness
• 11/13/2011 — Updated: More Loud Booms in Virginia and Missouri; More Quakes in Oklahoma
• 10/27/2011 — More Mysterious Hum Reports from North America to China
• 10/04/2011 — Updated: What Are Strange “Hums” That Keep People Awake?
• 10/03/2011 — Part 1: Viewer Letters About Strange, Loud Booms
• 02/01/2011 — Tampa Airports Change Compass Marks While North Magnetic Pole Moves Toward Siberia
"Residents around Hampton Roads report loud booms," August 24, 2013, PilotOnline.com: http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/residents-around-hampton-roads-report-loud-booms
"Neighbors keep hearing mysterious ‘boom’ near Carytown," August 21, 2013, WTVR CBS6, Richmond, Virginia:
"Earth's Rotating Inner Core Shifts Its Speed," May 14, 2013, Discovery.com:
"Earth's Core, Magnetic Field Changing Fast, Study Says," June 30, 2008, National Geographic:
"April Sumatra Quakes Signal Indian Ocean Plate Break-up," September 26, 2012, BBC News:
Earthfiles: Mysterious Rattling Booms Expand from Clintonville to Montello, Wisconsin and Beyond.
Unexplained Booms, Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexplained_boom#cite_note-0
Loud Booms in Virginia and Missouri; More Quakes in Oklahoma:
Strange Booms in North Carolina:
Strange Booms in Texas:
Strange Booms in Florida: http://www.weirdus.com/states/florida/unexplained_phenomena/booming_sounds/index.php
December 1977 Newspaper Reports:
USGS Booms and Seneca Guns: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/booms.ph