“How do booms a mile away suddenly move over my house
and we didn't see anything in the sky?”
- Jon Stewart, Deerfield, Illinois
323 miles from Deerfield, Ill. near Lake Michigan
(Google pointer) southeast to Louisville, Ky.
November 22, 2013 Louisville, Kentucky, and Deerfield, Illinois - Since January 2011, my news website Earthfiles.com has received reports from all over the United States about loud boom sounds that often shake — even crack — walls, windows and garage doors, sometimes associated with bright flashes of white light in clear, calm skies - no thunder, no lightning. Everyone who hears the loud, short booms say they are definitely not sonic booms from normal aircraft breaking the sound barrier. Some earwitnesses think the booms come from above ground or from the sky. Others such as the Mayor of Clintonville, Wisconsin, experience having the bottoms of their feet hit by a painful percussion wave from something underground — even when the U.S. Geological Survey has no record of seismic activity and local civil authorities say there is no underground fracking or mining or construction to explain the phenomenon.
Eight months ago in March 2013, I received multiple reports of loud, unexplained booms from Louisville and Fort Knox, Kentucky. One resident in Louisville said the boom hit so hard that framed pictures fell off the walls of his house. Two of his dogs in the kitchen were so scared they ran for a bedroom and under a bed.
Now again since October, I have received many more unexplained boom reports from several places ranging from Florida and Ohio to Illinois and again Louisville, Kentucky. On October 22nd and 27th, there were at least two earwitnesses at the Louisville home of truck driver Richard Herrell, age 36, and his girlfriend Ashley Goodlett, age 31, who works for a Louisville printing company while working on a university degree in communications. The couple have heard at least half a dozen loud booms in 2013, loud enough to get them up from television and outside to see what has blown up or crashed outside their house. But always there is no evidence of what shook their windows and made such a loud explosion noise.
Richard emailed me about the two recent October boom events that shocked him and Ashley. Both agreed to talk with me on the record beginning with Richard Herrell.
Play MP3 interview.
Richard J. Herrell, 36, truck driver and his girlfriend Ashley Goodlett, 31, college student, Louisville, Kentucky: “The first strange occurrence happened on October, Tuesday, the 22nd around 7:30 PM Central. I was sitting with my girlfriend in the house and we heard a loud BOOM! just right outside. It was loud! It sounded like lightning cracking right outside of our window or a house blowing up down the street.”
Ashley Goodlett: “It sounded like it was an explosion in our backyard. We went outside and looked through the backyard and looked through the front yard. Nobody else came outside. So, we were kind of like, ‘Alright! Did (laughs) anyone else hear this?’ We didn't smell anything else or see anything that would indicate an explosion.”
Richard Herrell: “All the neighborhood dogs were barking, but there was nothing. We were waiting to hear sirens or smell smoke, but nothing happened.”
Ashley Goodlett: “I think it's very weird! I kind of expected to see our neighbors come out the same time we did. Nobody else came outside.
HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK THAT YOU AND RICHARD HAVE HEARD THIS EXPLOSIVE BOOM SOUND LET'S SAY IN 2013?
Probably five or six times.”
Richard Herrell: “Which brings me to like Sunday, October 27th. Around 7:30 PM that night, we heard BOOM!! We had a couple of friends over and everybody in the house heard it. Everybody! I mean it was loud enough that you kind of ducked. You know, it sounded like an explosion like right outside the house. And that time when I went outside, the neighbors were outside and we asked them if they had heard it? And they said, ‘Yes’' They had no idea what it was. They said, ' — they were joking! — ‘Maybe a meth lab blew up!’ (laughs) We were like, ‘Wouldn't you hear sirens? Wouldn't you smell smoke or hear something?’
Nothing of that sort. It was just completely quiet and nobody knew anything. They were just like wondering what was going on - where the noise came from?
DID IT SOUND LIKE THE SOUND WAS COMING FROM THE AIR OR FROM BELOW THE GROUND?
Ashley Goodlett: “I would think it was coming from the air because it was so loud. It did not sound like it was muffled at all. Our neighborhood is built on part of the Mammoth Cave system. I was, 'Oh, my gosh, is there collapsing down there? You know, is my house going to fall into a sinkhole? Something scary like that?”
Richard Herrell: “I had a friend who worked not too far away from me who called me back over the summer and asked me if everything was all right because he heard an explosion in my neighborhood. There was nothing on the news. No sign of an explosion. Nobody had any fire trucks, but we were hearing like thudding booms. They were loud enough to shake the house! And I've heard two of them in the last week and it's just odd - very odd.
WHY DO YOU THINK THAT YOUR LOCAL TELEVISIONAND RADIO ARE NOT REPORTING THIS?
That's beyond me. (laughs) I don't know why the local news doesn't report on a lot of stuff they should, honestly.”
Ashley Goodlett: “You would think if there was something going on that would potentially harm us, that they would tell us.
EXACTLY, AND WITH TERRORISM SUPPOSEDLY THE TOP OF THE PRIORITY LIST IN THE UNITED STATES WHERE NATIONAL SECURITY IS OF CONCERN - WHY WOULDN'T HOMELAND SECURITY BE INVESTIGATING EVERY ONE OF THESE LOUD BOOM REPORTS?
Right, maybe they know something that we don't know.”
Deerfield, Illinois - Booms That Traveled?
323 miles northwest of Louisville, Kentucky is Deerfield,
Illinois, near Lake Michigan (Google pointer).
Two weeks after the October 27th second unexplained boom in Louisville, Kentucky, there was a series of loud booms 300 miles northwest in Deerfield, Illinois. That's not far from Lake Michigan. It was the night of November 8th. Residents were puzzled – and then afraid – of loud booms that kept coming every ten to twenty seconds for at least a half-hour. Jon Stewart on Mallard Lane in Deerfield emailed me that night right after the booms finally stopped and he had called the Deerfield Police Department. Jon is a former professional wrestler, former candidate for Illinois U. S. Congress and now is President and General Manager of his family's car dealership in Chicago. He wrote to me, “What was weird is that at the end of the noise, it seemed to travel over my house eastward toward Lake Michigan.”
But he and his family never saw anything in the sky. He enclosed his phone number and he spoke to me on the record about what happened on Tuesday, November 8, 2013, beginning around 8:30 PM.
Jon Stewart, former wrestler, former candidate for Illinois U. S. Congress, owner and manager of Chicago car dealership and resident in Deerfield, Illinois: “There was about every 15 to 20 seconds, you heard this low rumble - thunderous is how I could describe it - BOOM! This was like distant cannon fire, a loud BOOM! Very short BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
I walked outside to kind of get a clearer picture in my head of what I was hearing and as I looked down the block, I saw another neighbor outside trying to discern what we were hearing. And it just kept coming one after another about every ten seconds. That's when I went inside and called the Deerfield Police Department just to find out if anybody else called and heard this thing and do they know what it is.
WHAT DID THEY SAY?
They said I was the first one that called and she was going to call her District Commander or the Watch Commander and find out if they had anything that was going on in the area.
Booms “Jump” To Right Over
The most bizarre part was the BOOM! came right over our house – or sounded right over our house. And then not more than 30 seconds later, we heard it like a half a mile away going towards Lake Michigan. So this sound was traveling!
When we heard it over our house, the feeling was like creepy. When you can't discern what exactly you're hearing and it's affecting your family (laughs) and it's in your neighborhood – again, it's creepy! It's weird!
DESCRIBE WHAT YOU WERE HEARING FOR THE 30 TO 40 MINUTES AND THEN HOW IT CHANGED, WHY YOU KNEW IT WAS OVER YOUR HOUSE AND HOW LONG IT WAS OVER YOUR HOUSE AND WHAT HAPPENED THEN?
OK, for 20 to 30 to 40 minutes it was a low level – it wasn't high in the sky. It was more on the horizon – deep, thunderous, firework-type BOOM! But the problem was it was happening every 10 to 15 to 20 seconds. It was a BOOM! BOOM! Nothing like thunder. It came over our house.
DID YOU THEN HEAR THE SOUND OVER SEVERAL SECONDS OR MINUTES START COMING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO YOUR HOUSE?
That's a great question. Absolutely no! It went from the distance and then right over to our vicinity. And that's when my wife looked at me. She said, ‘This is right over our house!’
You're right, it was not a trailing (sound) up to our house. It was in the distance – then maybe a one to two minute silence – and then right over our neighborhood we heard one loud BOOM! And then another break of about another 40 seconds and then two or three BOOMS! off in the east. You could not hear it creeping towards my neighborhood. It was in the distance. Then all of a sudden above our neighborhood.
Booms “Jump” To Over Lake Michigan
And then 40 seconds later off to the east.
GOING OVER LAKE MICHIGAN.
That is correct.
DURING THIS WHOLE EPISODE THAT WENT ON FOR ALMOST 40 MINUTES, YOU NEVER SAW ANYTHING VISIBLE IN THE SKY OR ON THE GROUND?
Never, and I was outside looking in the sky.
IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THIS IS A TECHNOLOGY – TERRESTRIAL OR NON-TERRESTRIAL – THAT CLOAKS ITSELF? THAT IS INVISIBLE?
I don't know.
ISN'T IT ODD THAT IN THE BEGINNING FOR 30 OR 40 MINUTES, YOU WERE HEARING IT FROM WHAT YOU THOUGHT WAS ONE TO TWO MILES AWAY, SORT OF NEAR THE GROUND. THEN SUDDENLY WITHOUT ANY APPROACH – NO TIME LAPSE – THIS SOUND IS RIGHT ABOVE YOU!
Unidentified Aerical Craft That's Invisible?
It is! Is this a vehicle, a craft of something?
ANYTHING THAT WOULD ‘JUMP’ FROM ONE OR TWO MILES AFTER 30 OR 40 MINUTES TO RIGHT OVER YOUR HOUSE, THAT WOULD BE ALARMING.
It was! I'm 47 years old. I'm a former professional wrestler. I'm a hunter. I don't get scared that easy. When you see your family nervous, that's what made me call the police.
DID YOU EVER GET A CALL BACK FROM ANY LOCAL AUTHORITY?
No, never. Is there something going on with our planet? Is there something going on with our area. I know we live over the New Madrid fault line. Authorities have a responsibility to some degree to at least tell us – or at least try to figure out what – we may be experiencing. You know, what they think might be happening.
As far as any kind of a UFO situation, I don't know, I don't know how to answer that. The internet and radio talk about a UFO. I'm not, but I'm going to tell you something. You're right. To go from a mile to over my neighborhood and then a mile towards Lake Michigan, that is aerial craft-like behavior.
AND WAS INVISIBLE.
BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING.
THE UNNATURAL SILENCE BY THIS GOVERNMENT THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE TERRORISM AS ONE OF ITS TOP PRIORITIES AND POPULATION REPORTING LOUD, UNEXPLAINED BOOMS, CRACKED SIDEWALKS, CRACKED WINDOWS, WHICH HAS HAPPENED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. TO IGNORE THE REPORTS – THAT SILENCE IS GUILT. SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS THAT SOMETHING IS HAPPENING AND THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO ADDRESS IT.
Anybody who listened to what you just said — absolutely without a doubt! When you're not investigating something that is this widespread, or is this reported, then you know something.”
Report of November 20th Powerful Pressure Waves
by Retired Naval Flight Officer, Boca Raton, Florida
On November 20, 2013, I received the following email from retired Naval Flight Officer (NFO) Mark Wood. Mark holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Georgia Tech and a Master’s Degree in Ocean Engineering from Florida Atlantic University. He is also a Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer (P.E.). He was screened for Aviation Command and was assigned as the Executive Officer of the first Reserve Patrol Squadron to be assigned the new P-3C Update III as well as the Commissioning Commanding Officer of a Reserve Patrol Squadron Augment Unit (VPSAU).
Boca Raton, Florida, is 47 miles northeast
of Miami on the Atlantic Ocean.
November 20, 2012, Boca Raton, Florida:
Linda – I had been sort of following your reporting on the 'Sonic Boom' phenomena with sort of a jaundiced eye, assuming that perhaps they were classified military flights at significant altitudes, but hadn’t given them much thought. The reason I am sending you this email is to report to you that there were two extremely powerful pressure waves that I experienced here in Boca Raton this morning.
The second one occurred @ 4 minutes ago or so @0748-0750EST. The first occurred an hour or two earlier while I was awake but still in bed. When the first one occurred I thought that someone had thrown their shoulder against my front door and I almost got up to see if someone was trying to break in. I laid in bed listening for any other noises and since I didn’t hear anything I disregarded it. The second one was exactly the same effect as if my front door was hit by a significant pressure wave and sounded like someone was trying to knock the door in, but since I was in the living room, I could sense that this pressure wave wasn’t just against the front door, but against the whole side of the house. The wall that I am speaking about faces due East. If you remember, I am located @ 1 mile from the beach in Boca Raton with a Lat Long of N 26 Deg 21Min 54.7 Sec, W 080 Deg 05 Min 27.6 Sec.
As you can well imagine having flown in the Navy and Naval Air Reserve for 25 years, I have heard my share of sonic booms. In addition, being in South Florida some 156 miles from the Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, I have also heard sonic booms resulting from the return of the Space Shuttles. These two pressure waves were uniquely different in that the pressure wave was present and strong, vibrating the eastern wall of my home including the front door, but there was no “boom” accompanying the passage of the pressure wave. Perhaps the distance of the initial disturbance was of significant distance from me so that the higher frequency audible component of the disturbance that we associate with the “Boom” had dissipated, but the pressure wave itself which would be of a much lower frequency continued on and was easily felt as if someone had thrown their shoulder into my door.
Since I didn’t hear an audible “boom”, my assumption is that the episode occurred some distance away (typically a “boom” can be heard a distance of 1 mile or so for every 1000 feet that the vehicle is travelling),so assuming a high flying military aircraft flying at 80,000 feet at supersonic speed, the “boom” could be heard 80miles away. Since there was no audible sound, my assumption is that the altitude was very high where air density is low and at a significant distance from me. Also, the intensity of a “boom” can be lowered if the vehicle is slowing down, which would be characteristic of an atmospheric re-entry. I was also curious if in your research you had contacted DARPA. I did some online research and saw that DARPA has a program called the “Quiet Supersonic Platform” studies I assume to gain information that could be used in a next generation supersonic commercial aircraft which would eliminate the booms heard when the Concorde was flying and thus open up the airspace over populated areas for commercial supersonic flight.
If anyone has more firsthand information about the source of the persistent and very loud boom , light flash, military helicopters showing up or other bizarre, unexplained sounds such as metal crashing and glass breaking without physical evidence, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests for confidentiality are honored.
For further information about the mysterious boom, light flash and appearance of military helicopters doing grid searches afterward, please see boom reports below and in the Earthfiles Archive.
• 09/13/2013 — More Mysterious Boom Reports
• 09/08/2013 — Mysterious New Boom Reports
• 09/05/2013 — Part 4: Avatars and Controllers
• 09/02/2013 — Part 3: New Jersey Abductee Describes E.T. Conflict Between Tall Humanoids about Humanity's Fate
• 08/05/2013 — More Unexplained Booms - Earthfiles Viewer Letters
• 06/28/2013 — Mystery Booms and Inner Earth Core Changes?
• 06/27/2013 — Unusual Jet Stream Melts Greenland Ice
• 06/07/2013 — More Unexplained Loud Booms
• 05/31/2013 — What's Causing Lakeport, Calif. Houses to Slide and Crack Up?
• 05/13/2013 — Persistent Sinkholes and Unexplained Booms
• 03/28/2013 — Updated: Woodland Hills, CA “Sound of Glass Breaking”; Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY
• 03/23/2013 — Mysterious Booms Over Multiple Counties in Florida and Illinois
• 03/19/2013 — Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY; Southern Illinois; Kamiah, Idaho; and Rhode Island
• 03/13/2013 — Strange Boom, Ice Craters and “Frozen Waves” in Newfoundland
• 03/10/2013 — UPDATED: “Sound Guns” - Viewer Comments
• 03/07/2013 — More Loud, Unexplained Booms in Bowling Green, KY, Elizabethtown, ILL, and Flint, MI
• 03/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms - A Secret Military Weapon?
• 03/01/2013 — After Mysterious Booms, Why Do Military Helicopters Fly Search Patterns Below 500 Feet Over Residential Houses?
• 02/20/2013 — Part 2: Unexplained Loud Booms and Light Flashes Persist in U. S.
• 02/16/2013 — Part 1: More Earth-Shaking Booms in Morristown, Tennessee and “Shock Wave” Booms in San Manuel, Arizona
• 02/06/2013 — Viewer Emails about Boom Mystery
• 02/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms and Light Flashes Across U. S.
• 01/25/2013 — Updated: Unexplained Loud Booms Persist in United States
• 01/11/2013 — Part 1: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/11/2013 — Part 2: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/11/2013 — Part 3: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/05/2013 — 26 Hours Before 7.5 Quake, Unexplained Rumbling Boom in Southcentral Alaska
• 12/08/2012 — What's Causing Mysterious Lights, Loud Booms and Strange Hum in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island?
• 11/15/2012 — Real X-Files: 1950 - 1983
• 11/11/2012 — Rapid, Unidentified Aerial Objects Over Denver and Strange Amber Cigar-Shaped Aerial Craft Near Philadelphia
• 11/03/2012 — Another Mysterious Translucent Aerial Object, This One Over Gardiner, New York
• 10/27/2012 — Unidentified Aerial Object As High As Jet Stream?
• 10/17/2012 — Loud Boom and 3-D Radar of Mysterious Aerial Object in NW Louisiana
• 08/26/2012 — Updated: More Unexplained Boom Sounds from Sweden to Calif: What's Happening Now in Sacramento? And What Happened August 21st In Oakland, California?
• 05/30/2012 — Updated: Mysterious Booms Heard May 27 and May 28 in Four West Michigan Counties
• 05/10/2012 — Mysterious Horn and Boom Sounds Still Being Heard
• 05/01/2012 — More Unexplained Booms in Boston and Beyond
• 04/26/2012 — Updated: Mysterious, Persistent Booms Throughout North America and England
• 04/22/2012 — Huge Boom Heard in Central California and Northwestern Nevada - Did Meteorite Hit?
• 04/08/2012 — Part 3: Confusion About North American Booms and Man-Made Quakes
• 03/30/2012 — Part 1: Updated 033021 with boom recordings - Mysterious Rattling Booms Expand from Clintonville to Montello, Wisconsin and Beyond.
• 03/30/2012 — Updated with boom audio Part 2: Boom Phenomenon in Several States and Canada
• 03/20/2012 — Two Nights of Mysterious Rattling Booms in Clintonville, WI
• 03/15/2012 — Updated 031512 - High Strangeness Email: Unidentified Aerial Craft, Strange Sounds and Door-Rattling Booms
• 03/01/2012 — Updated 030112: Solar CMEs Hitting Earth's Magnetic Fields - Do They Make Strange, Loud Sounds?
• 02/28/2012 — Strange Sounds in Washington State
• 02/23/2012 — Updated Feb. 23: Eerie, Strange Sounds Heard in Tennessee and Kansas
• 02/04/2012 — Video of Kiev-like Strange Sound in Amarillo, Texas: What Happened?
• 02/02/2012 — Updated: Earthfiles Email About Mysterious “Chorus of Trumpets” and Other Strange Sounds
• 01/29/2012 — Part 4: Tall, Cat-Eyed Beings in Pennsylvania Turnpike Abduction
• 01/26/2012 — Updated - Part 1: Photos of Unidentified Utah Aerial Craft - and Missing Time?
• 01/20/2012 — Part 3: Tall, Cat-Eyed Beings in Pennsylvania Turnpike Abduction
• 01/18/2012 — Part 2: Utah Aerial Craft, Missing Time and Cat-Eyed, Blond Beings
• 12/31/2011 — Updated - Part 1: Earthfiles Mail About High Strangeness
• 11/13/2011 — Updated: More Loud Booms in Virginia and Missouri; More Quakes in Oklahoma
• 10/27/2011 — More Mysterious Hum Reports from North America to China
• 10/12/2011 — Unidentified Orange Spheres, Discs and Entity Encounter in Kansas City, Missouri, Since April 2011
• 10/04/2011 — Updated: What Are Strange “Hums” That Keep People Awake?
• 10/03/2011 — Part 1: Viewer Letters About Strange, Loud Booms
• 09/30/2011 — High Strangeness in Australia's Northern Territory
• 06/07/2011 — What Are the Mysterious Booms?
• 05/13/2011 — More Viewer Letters About Mysterious Booms
• 05/11/2011 — Updated Reprints: Earthfiles Viewers Reports of Strange, Loud Booms
• 02/08/2011 — More Reports of Strange Booms and Aerial Lights
• 02/08/2011 — Part 5: Private Detective's Encounters with Non-Humans
• 01/29/2011 — Earthfiles Viewers Reports of Strange, Loud Booms