Mysterious, Loud Booms - Indiana School Evacuated
© 2013 by Linda Moulton Howe
“There was a boom and the front part of the [North Harrison
High School] building did shake, and so we just immediately
evacuated. Don't know what it was or anything else, yet. ”
- North Harrison High School Employee,
Ramsey, Indiana, October 27, 2013
“We heard a big boom sound. The windows rattled.
It sounded like it was right outside my building. You didn't know
if something exploded or what. It was just so loud.”
- Lynne Ledlow, Store Mgr., The Chicken Store, Nov. 20, 2013
November 24, 2013 Albuquerque, New Mexico - On November 22nd, I reported in Earthfiles and Coast to Coast AM radio reports that two loud, unexplained booms were described by Richard Harrell and Ashley Goodlett of Louisville, Kentucky. The first boom was on October 22nd, followed by another even louder boom on October 27th around 7:30 PM Central. Richard, Ashley and two visiting friends all heard that boom and ran outside because the loud sound shook the house and seemed to be in their yard. Even more neighbors came out of their house to see what happened, but nothing was there.
Richard Herrell for Earthfiles: “We heard BOOM!! We had a couple of friends over and everybody in the house heard it. Everybody! I mean it was loud enough that you kind of ducked. You know, it sounded like an explosion like right outside the house. And that time when I went outside, the neighbors were outside and we asked them if they had heard it? And they said, ‘Yes’' They had no idea what it was. They said, ' — they were joking! — ‘Maybe a meth lab blew up!’ (laughs) We were like, ‘Wouldn't you hear sirens? Wouldn't you smell smoke or hear something?’”
Since then, I have received dozens of other boom reports, including one important multiple earwitness event that also occurred on October 27th, 25 miles west of Louisville, Kentucky, in Ramsey, Indiana. There the North Harrison High School was evacuated because of a loud boom. A school employee who asked to remain anonymous told WDRB Fox 41 that “there was a boom and the front part of the high school building did shake, and so we just immediately evacuated. Don't know what it was or anything else, yet. We just evacuated.” To date, that boom has not been explained either.
Indiana School Evacuated After “Boom”
On October 27, 2013
Google pointer A is Louisville, Kentucky.
25 miles west is Ramsey, Indiana (Pointer B),
where North Harrison High School was
evacuated on October 27, 2013.
News © 2013 by WDRB Fox 41, Louisville, Kentucky.
North Harrison High School in Ramsey, Indiana,
25 miles west of Louisville, Kentucky, was evacuated
on October 27, 2013, because of a loud, unexplained boom.
Image © by WDRB Fox 41, Louisville, Kentucky.
Nov. 20th Loud Booms in northern New York, east end of Lake Ontario
Google map pointer at Oswego in general region of November 20, 2013, two loud booms
on the eastern end of Lake Ontario about 12 miles from the Canadian border.
I just wanted to report two loud booms that occurred 2 seconds apart here on the eastern end of Lake Ontario on November 20th in the northern part of New York about 12 miles from the Canadian border. I am a volunteer fire chief of 20 years and a friend locally called me and asked me if I just heard them. At the time I was outside and said yes. They sounded to me like they might have been sonic booms from jets which I figured made sense to me because there were two and jets usually fly in pairs.
But what was really interesting was the next thing he said. He stated that they literally shook his house and he was concerned. Where I was standing approx. two miles away from him, this ground shaking did not occur. Therefore, it seems to have been localized to his area.
There was nothing on the news, no reports of blasting in the area, and no 911 calls. Very strange. When I have heard sonic booms in the past from above - the affect seemed to be more uniform in the area. Anyway my wife and I are avid Coast listeners and I thought you might like to hear this report. Also not sure if this has anything to do with it, but at the time of the two loud booms we were watching the laying down of chemtrails as bad as I have ever seen them.
Booms are now in Mississippi - November 19th County Wide in Itawamba County
I heard you on Coast to Coast last night and wanted to forward to you this link to my local NBC TV station near my home here in Mississippi about these loud booms that no one can explain. They have been going on for a month although the paper seems to act as though it is a recent happening and the I think you will find the local air force base jets not responsible.
Residents Claim Sonic Boom Rattled Entire County
In Itawamba County, Mississippi, around 8 a.m., on Tuesday morning, November 19, 2013, reports of a sonic boom-like sound that rattled homes and windows came into local police departments. Nearly 25 miles away, a loud boom was heard in Mantachie. Lynne Ledlow, Store Manager of The Chicken Store was serving customers when she heard a loud roaring boom. She told WTVA ABC: “We heard a big boom sound. The windows rattled. It sounded like it was right outside my building. You didn't know if something exploded or what. It was just so loud.”
Mantachie Police Chief Mark Roberts told WTVA that he ruled out an explosion because the boom was reported county-wide. WTVA also contacted Columbus AFB to see if the boom might have been caused by one of their aircraft breaking the sound barrier. The air base spokesperson said “every time we break the sound barrier, it's logged and recorded.” Further investigation of that log book is upcoming.
NOTE: WTVA says it heard about the boom from a viewer who posted the news tip to the WTVA Facebook page - not from any local authorities.
Google pointer is Mantachie, Mississippi in Itawamba County, 363 miles southwest from
Louisville, Kentucky. On Tuesday, November 19, 2013, around 8 AM, all of Itawamba County, Mississippi reported to police offices a loud boom that rattled windows as if something
exploded. But nothing was confirmed and the cause of the boom sound is still unknown.
November 20th Powerful Pressure Waves Reported
by Retired Naval Flight Officer, Boca Raton, Florida
On November 20, 2013, I received the following email from retired Naval Flight Officer (NFO) Mark Wood. Mark holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Georgia Tech and a Master’s Degree in Ocean Engineering from Florida Atlantic University. He is also a Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer (P.E.). He was screened for Aviation Command and was assigned as the Executive Officer of the first Reserve Patrol Squadron to be assigned the new P-3C Update III as well as the Commissioning Commanding Officer of a Reserve Patrol Squadron Augment Unit (VPSAU).
Boca Raton, Florida, is 47 miles northeast
of Miami on the Atlantic Ocean.
November 20, 2012, Boca Raton, Florida:
Linda – I had been sort of following your reporting on the 'Sonic Boom' phenomena with sort of a jaundiced eye, assuming that perhaps they were classified military flights at significant altitudes, but hadn’t given them much thought. The reason I am sending you this email is to report to you that there were two extremely powerful pressure waves that I experienced here in Boca Raton this morning.
The second one occurred @ 4 minutes ago or so @0748-0750EST. The first occurred an hour or two earlier while I was awake but still in bed. When the first one occurred I thought that someone had thrown their shoulder against my front door and I almost got up to see if someone was trying to break in. I laid in bed listening for any other noises and since I didn’t hear anything I disregarded it. The second one was exactly the same effect as if my front door was hit by a significant pressure wave and sounded like someone was trying to knock the door in, but since I was in the living room, I could sense that this pressure wave wasn’t just against the front door, but against the whole side of the house. The wall that I am speaking about faces due East. If you remember, I am located @ 1 mile from the beach in Boca Raton with a Lat Long of N 26 Deg 21Min 54.7 Sec, W 080 Deg 05 Min 27.6 Sec.
As you can well imagine having flown in the Navy and Naval Air Reserve for 25 years, I have heard my share of sonic booms. In addition, being in South Florida some 156 miles from the Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, I have also heard sonic booms resulting from the return of the Space Shuttles. These two pressure waves were uniquely different in that the pressure wave was present and strong, vibrating the eastern wall of my home including the front door, but there was no “boom” accompanying the passage of the pressure wave. Perhaps the distance of the initial disturbance was of significant distance from me so that the higher frequency audible component of the disturbance that we associate with the “Boom” had dissipated, but the pressure wave itself which would be of a much lower frequency continued on and was easily felt as if someone had thrown their shoulder into my door.
Since I didn’t hear an audible “boom”, my assumption is that the episode occurred some distance away (typically a “boom” can be heard a distance of 1 mile or so for every 1000 feet that the vehicle is travelling),so assuming a high flying military aircraft flying at 80,000 feet at supersonic speed, the “boom” could be heard 80miles away. Since there was no audible sound, my assumption is that the altitude was very high where air density is low and at a significant distance from me. Also, the intensity of a “boom” can be lowered if the vehicle is slowing down, which would be characteristic of an atmospheric re-entry.
I was also curious if in your research you had contacted DARPA. I did some online research and saw that DARPA has a program called the “Quiet Supersonic Platform” studies I assume to gain information that could be used in a next generation supersonic commercial aircraft which would eliminate the booms heard when the Concorde was flying and thus open up the airspace over populated areas for commercial supersonic flight.
[ Editor's Note: DARPA is the U. S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency responsible for the development of new technologies for use by the military. DARPA’s original mission, established in 1958, was to prevent technological surprise like the launch of Sputnik, which signaled that the Soviets had beaten the U.S. into space. The mission statement has evolved over time. Today, DARPA’s mission is still to prevent technological surprise to the U.S., but also to create technological surprise for American enemies.
DARPA “Quiet Supersonic Platform”: The NASA Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstration, also known as the Shaped Sonic Boom Experiment, was a two-year program that used a Northrop F-5E with a modified fuselage to demonstrate in 2003 that the aircraft's shock wave, and accompanying sonic boom, can be shaped, and thereby reduced.]
If anyone has more firsthand information about the source of the persistent and very loud booms, light flashes, military helicopters showing up, or other bizarre, unexplained sounds such as metal crashing and glass breaking without physical evidence, please email: email@example.com. All requests for confidentiality are honored.
For further information about the mysterious boom, light flash and appearance of military helicopters doing grid searches afterward, please see boom reports below and in the Earthfiles Archive.
• 11/22/2013 — More Loud, Mysterious Booms in Kentucky and Illinois
• 09/13/2013 — More Mysterious Boom Reports
• 09/08/2013 — Mysterious New Boom Reports
• 09/05/2013 — Part 4: Avatars and Controllers
• 09/02/2013 — Part 3: New Jersey Abductee Describes E.T. Conflict Between Tall Humanoids about Humanity's Fate
• 08/05/2013 — More Unexplained Booms - Earthfiles Viewer Letters
• 06/28/2013 — Mystery Booms and Inner Earth Core Changes?
• 06/27/2013 — Unusual Jet Stream Melts Greenland Ice
• 06/07/2013 — More Unexplained Loud Booms
• 05/31/2013 — What's Causing Lakeport, Calif. Houses to Slide and Crack Up?
• 05/13/2013 — Persistent Sinkholes and Unexplained Booms
• 03/28/2013 — Updated: Woodland Hills, CA “Sound of Glass Breaking”; Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY
• 03/23/2013 — Mysterious Booms Over Multiple Counties in Florida and Illinois
• 03/19/2013 — Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY; Southern Illinois; Kamiah, Idaho; and Rhode Island
• 03/13/2013 — Strange Boom, Ice Craters and “Frozen Waves” in Newfoundland
• 03/10/2013 — UPDATED: “Sound Guns” - Viewer Comments
• 03/07/2013 — More Loud, Unexplained Booms in Bowling Green, KY, Elizabethtown, ILL, and Flint, MI
• 03/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms - A Secret Military Weapon?
• 03/01/2013 — After Mysterious Booms, Why Do Military Helicopters Fly Search Patterns Below 500 Feet Over Residential Houses?
• 02/20/2013 — Part 2: Unexplained Loud Booms and Light Flashes Persist in U. S.
• 02/16/2013 — Part 1: More Earth-Shaking Booms in Morristown, Tennessee and “Shock Wave” Booms in San Manuel, Arizona
• 02/06/2013 — Viewer Emails about Boom Mystery
• 02/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms and Light Flashes Across U. S.
• 01/25/2013 — Updated: Unexplained Loud Booms Persist in United States
• 01/11/2013 — Part 1: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/11/2013 — Part 2: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/11/2013 — Part 3: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/05/2013 — 26 Hours Before 7.5 Quake, Unexplained Rumbling Boom in Southcentral Alaska
• 12/08/2012 — What's Causing Mysterious Lights, Loud Booms and Strange Hum in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island?
• 11/15/2012 — Real X-Files: 1950 - 1983
• 11/11/2012 — Rapid, Unidentified Aerial Objects Over Denver and Strange Amber Cigar-Shaped Aerial Craft Near Philadelphia
• 11/03/2012 — Another Mysterious Translucent Aerial Object, This One Over Gardiner, New York
• 10/27/2012 — Unidentified Aerial Object As High As Jet Stream?
• 10/17/2012 — Loud Boom and 3-D Radar of Mysterious Aerial Object in NW Louisiana
• 08/26/2012 — Updated: More Unexplained Boom Sounds from Sweden to Calif: What's Happening Now in Sacramento? And What Happened August 21st In Oakland, California?
• 05/30/2012 — Updated: Mysterious Booms Heard May 27 and May 28 in Four West Michigan Counties
• 05/10/2012 — Mysterious Horn and Boom Sounds Still Being Heard
• 05/01/2012 — More Unexplained Booms in Boston and Beyond
• 04/26/2012 — Updated: Mysterious, Persistent Booms Throughout North America and England
• 04/22/2012 — Huge Boom Heard in Central California and Northwestern Nevada - Did Meteorite Hit?
• 04/08/2012 — Part 3: Confusion About North American Booms and Man-Made Quakes
• 03/30/2012 — Part 1: Updated 033021 with boom recordings - Mysterious Rattling Booms Expand from Clintonville to Montello, Wisconsin and Beyond.
• 03/30/2012 — Updated with boom audio Part 2: Boom Phenomenon in Several States and Canada
• 03/20/2012 — Two Nights of Mysterious Rattling Booms in Clintonville, WI
• 03/15/2012 — Updated 031512 - High Strangeness Email: Unidentified Aerial Craft, Strange Sounds and Door-Rattling Booms
• 03/01/2012 — Updated 030112: Solar CMEs Hitting Earth's Magnetic Fields - Do They Make Strange, Loud Sounds?
• 02/28/2012 — Strange Sounds in Washington State
• 02/23/2012 — Updated Feb. 23: Eerie, Strange Sounds Heard in Tennessee and Kansas
• 02/04/2012 — Video of Kiev-like Strange Sound in Amarillo, Texas: What Happened?
• 02/02/2012 — Updated: Earthfiles Email About Mysterious “Chorus of Trumpets” and Other Strange Sounds
• 01/29/2012 — Part 4: Tall, Cat-Eyed Beings in Pennsylvania Turnpike Abduction
• 01/26/2012 — Updated - Part 1: Photos of Unidentified Utah Aerial Craft - and Missing Time?
• 01/20/2012 — Part 3: Tall, Cat-Eyed Beings in Pennsylvania Turnpike Abduction
• 01/18/2012 — Part 2: Utah Aerial Craft, Missing Time and Cat-Eyed, Blond Beings
• 12/31/2011 — Updated - Part 1: Earthfiles Mail About High Strangeness
• 11/13/2011 — Updated: More Loud Booms in Virginia and Missouri; More Quakes in Oklahoma
• 10/27/2011 — More Mysterious Hum Reports from North America to China
• 10/12/2011 — Unidentified Orange Spheres, Discs and Entity Encounter in Kansas City, Missouri, Since April 2011
• 10/04/2011 — Updated: What Are Strange “Hums” That Keep People Awake?
• 10/03/2011 — Part 1: Viewer Letters About Strange, Loud Booms
• 09/30/2011 — High Strangeness in Australia's Northern Territory
• 06/07/2011 — What Are the Mysterious Booms?
• 05/13/2011 — More Viewer Letters About Mysterious Booms
• 05/11/2011 — Updated Reprints: Earthfiles Viewers Reports of Strange, Loud Booms
• 02/08/2011 — More Reports of Strange Booms and Aerial Lights
• 02/08/2011 — Part 5: Private Detective's Encounters with Non-Humans
• 01/29/2011 — Earthfiles Viewers Reports of Strange, Loud Booms
"Residents Around Hampton Roads Report Loud Booms," August 24, 2013, PilotOnline.com:
"Mysterious 'booms' still unexplained," March 16, 2013, The Daily News Online, Batavia, NY:
January 5, 2013, 1:30 AM Eastern, Salem, Massachusetts Light Flash and Loud Boom VIDEO:
"Mystery solved! Booms heard across Kentuckiana were from Ft. Knox," WDRB News 4:
"Unexplained Strange Booming Sounds Rattle Bowling Green in Plano/Alvaton Area, Kentucky, March 4, 2013":
"Mysterious "Explosion" Sounds Alarm People On Flint's East Side":
"Explosion or Just Noise?," Metropolis, Illinois, near Elizabethville, Illinois:
"Did You Hear the Loud Booms in Evansville, Indiana?," NBC Channel 14-TV: