Updated: High Strangeness Before and After
Montreal Boom and Blue Sky Flash
© 2013 by Linda Moulton Howe
—“Homeland Security confirmed there was no military
activity that could have caused the sounds.”
- Fire Chief Kenneth Richards Jr., Old Mystic, Connecticut
— “On Tuesday, November 26th, at 3 PM Eastern
in Albany County, New York [ 224 miles straight south of Montreal
and 5 hours BEFORE Montreal boom event],
I heard a loud boom, saw a flash of light, and my entire
apartment shook like an earthquake.”
- Resident in Albany County, New York
— “On Wednesday, Nov. 27th, at approximately 10:30 PM
Alaska standard time [night after Montreal event] the sky lit up bright blue,
as if it were day ... about 3 minutes later there was what
sounded like an explosion that shook the cabin.”
- Resident in Talkeetna, Alaska
Updated December 1, 2013 Albuquerque, New Mexico - This report includes audio of a recorded boom sound in Woodland Hills, California, on Thursday, November 28, 2013, at 4:38 AM Pacific in Woodland Hills, California. It's updated below with new information from Old Mystic Fire Chief about unexplained booms the morning of November 29th in Southeastern Connecticut.
8 PM Eastern, Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
On Tuesday night, November 26th, around 8 PM Eastern, residents in Montreal, St-Lazare and the surrounding Canadian region as far as Ormstow and Cornwall, Ontario, onward to Plattsburgh, New York, 65 miles straight south, were literally shaken by a loud boom and a bright flash of blue-green light in the night sky.
One Earthfiles viewer in Montreal, emailed, “Around 8 PM Montreal time, we all heard a loud boom - then our electricity went out in our neighborhood for 20 minutes. Very strange.”
Hundreds of residents in Montreal (top red circle), the surrounding region
and at least 65 miles south to Plattsburgh, New York (middle red circle),
reported a loud boom and a bright flash of blue-green light in the night sky.
A meteorite, some speculated? But the same phenomenon was seen and heard
5 hours earlier at 3 PM EST in Albany County, New York (bottom red circle)
225 miles straight south of Montreal.
While Environment Canada and St-Lazare Mayor Robert Grimaudo told media that night they had no answer to what caused the loud, mysterious boom and blue light flash over so much geography, by Thursday, November 28th, authorities said a meteor hit the atmosphere with a sonic boom.
The Montreal Gazette November 28, 2013
“There was a modest fireball over southern Quebec just after 0047 (Universal Time = 7:47 p.m. EST),” writes Peter Brown, director of the Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration at the University of Western Ontario.
“From a very casual examination of the records for five of these USArray stations, it appears that the fireball went roughly north to south passing almost right over the island of Montreal.
“Stations to the south show three distinctive arrivals which may indicate a series of fragmentation episodes near the terminal part of the path.”
According to Brown, interpretation of the ballistic shock period — .25 of a second — means this was a very small event with “energies of less than a ton of TNT at the most.”
5 Hours Before Montreal Phenomenon,
A Loud Boom and Light Flash in Albany County, NY
3 PM Eastern, Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Albany County, New York
(see above map)
But what no one was addressing was the fact that 5 hours earlier at 3 PM Eastern in Albany County, New York, 225 miles straight south of Montreal, witnesses heard a loud boom and saw a flash of light. A week earlier, the same Albany County residents around November 20th, recorded on video a “flashing light in the sky and we saw a big blue flash in the sky.”
Loud boom house shook
November 26, 2013
On November 26, 2013, at 3 PM Eastern in Albany County, NY - heard a loud boom, flash of light, and my entire apartment shook like an earthquake. Not sure if anyone in the area reported it or not. My boyfriend and I also recorded a strange flashing "light" in the sky about a week earlier (around November 20th), while recording a rainbow-flicking light and we saw a big blue flash in the sky. Afterwards, we played back the video and caught it on camera. It was another one of those strange (colorful) light flickering things. I'm wondering if anyone has been reporting these occurrences in my area? Not sure how to find out. If you're interested I will send a clip of one of the lights we've recorded. We have many – each video is a different light, and each night there's more of them. Not sure if they are related to the loud boom and my apartment shaking yesterday or not? [ Editor's Note: Earthfiles has asked for videos.]
Another Blue Sky Flash and Boom
in Alaska The Next Night, Nov. 27th
10:30 PM Alaska Standard Time, Wednesday, November 27, 2013
But the same phenomenon of the night sky flashing bright blue along with a huge, house-rattling boom occurred the NEXT night on November 27th, at approximately 10:30 PM Alaska standard time in Talkeetna, Alaska, about 100 miles north of Anchorage.
A bright blue flash lighted up the night sky with a huge, house-rattling boom
around 10:30 PM Alaska standard time on Wednesday, November 27, 2013,
in Talkeetna, Alaska, about 100 miles north of Anchorage. That's the next night
after the November 26th Montreal phenomenon of a loud boom
and the sky flashing blue at 8 PM Eastern.
Updated - Several Loud Booms Friday Morning, Nov. 29th,
in Southeastern Connecticut
Google Pointer on Stonington, Connecticut, is 41 miles from Warwick, Rhode Island,
in Narragansett Bay, where a year ago there were repeated loud, unexplained booms
and bright flashes of light there and in the Salem, Massachusetts, region north of Boston.
— Earthfiles Dec. 8, 2012, "What's Causing Mysterious Lights, Loud Booms and Strange Hum in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island?"
— Earthfiles Feb. 1, 2013, "Mysterious Booms and Light Flashes Across U. S."
NBC-TV Connecticut reported Friday morning, November 29, 2013, that “Stonington police said they received several calls from people across the town who reported hearing at least four loud ‘booms.’ The police got their first call at 9:11 AM Eastern. The police department contacted the Department of Homeland Security about the sounds.” No one could determine what caused the four loud booms.
“We live in Ledyard near the Mystic line and our house shook so hard I thought there was an explosion right outside,” Kathy Dunn said in a Facebook comment.
Update - Old Mystic Fire Chief's House Shook in Booms
Old Mystic Fire Chief Kenneth Richards told the Stonington.patch.com that his own home “physically shook” at 9:09 AM on Friday, November 29th. “That was the loudest, the first one. Then there were two more just incredible booms - like explosions” over a half-hour. Lots of people heard the loud booms because 911 calls came rapidly from Stonington, Groton, Ledyard and Old Mystic residents. People in Groton reported plates falling out of kitchen cabinets and pictures fell off walls.
Fire Chief Richards added that “Homeland Security confirmed there was no military activity that could have caused the sounds and there was no seismic activity.” He also said there had been no blasting permits and no one had found any evidence of what caused the three big booms.
Other Loud Booms in California
and One Recorded Early Morning of Nov. 28th
Nov. 28, 2013 at 4:38 AM Pacific
I’m visiting my family in Woodland Hills, CA for Thanksgiving.
They told me they (and their neighbors) heard mysterious booms the past two nights… so last night I left a recorder by my open window – and I got a recording of it! I’ve shortened the audio file so you don’t have to listen to my snoring all night.
Boom occurred at 4:38AM in Woodland Hills, California Boom11_28_13_4_34AM.wma - http://sdrv.ms/1fMIV6z (download WMA / windows media audio file) Boom is heard at position 51.00 sec
The boom shook the house and woke all three of us. Unfortunately I turned off my recorder after the first boom and missed the two additional booms that occurred about 10 minutes later. To add to the mystery, there was a high pitched whine preceding the first boom by a couple minutes
Same Day As Montreal Phenomenon,
Other Boom Reports On November 26th
Loud Booms in Gaston, Oregon, west of Portland
November 26, 2013
Dear Linda, I live in Gaston,Oregon, just west of Portland. My neighbors and I have been hearing loud booms right before dark. Followed by a very bright flash of light. The noise is coming from behind my house up the hill. I have a horse and a steer which go into a panic. So I decided to report the booms to the police. An officer called me and I told him about the booms and lights. He said on the Discovery Channel they have a show about guns, canons they blow things up. Could this be tannerite?
To: Linda Moulton Howe <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Strange Sounds and Booms Again in Ogden, Utah - 4 to 5 PM Mountain
November 26, 2013
Ogden, Utah, [Google marker] is 80 miles north
of Provo (bottom red circle).
I e-mailed you last summer about the strange booms and the strange sounds in the air like a sound you get when you get rub your finger around the top of a half glass of water. You wanted me to tell you if I ever heard it again.
Well, it happened again today at about 4:45 P.M. mountain time and then again at 5:00 P.M. It was a concussion type boom like the one that happened last summer that shook the house and windows unlike a sonic boom. It seemed to come from all around and not from a straight source. This time I didn't hear any strange sounds following the boom. I know for a fact that this wasn't from an aircraft or any ordnance of any kind or I wouldn't e-mail you about this. It was an in and out concussion that was unlike anything I've ever heard.
Google pointer marks county seat of Manti
in Sanpete County, Utah, 80 miles south of Provo
and 160 miles south of Ogden.
Booms in Sanpete County, Utah two or three this afternoon and one that shook the house.
Loud booms in Arizona...again near Chino Valley 5 PM Mtn West of Sedona
November 26, 2013
A year ago right before 5 PM on Tuesday, December 4, 2012, a loud boom
was followed by a second blast that shook windows from Camp Verde
to Cottonwood to Chino Valley (Google pointer).
I just heard on the evening news that there were loud booms heard near Chino Valley, Arizona [5 PM Mtn west of Sedona]. I heard about this on the Channel 5 evening news.....I'm in Mesa, Arizona. Apparently they were hearing this last year (December 4, 2012), too. They never found out what caused the boom either time.
Mysterious booms – some with bright light flashes, usually white – have been reported around the United States since January 2011 without explanation. Recently see November 22nd Earthfiles and November 24th Earthfiles [high school evacuated in Indiana after recent mysterious, unexplained boom] and dozens of other mysterious boom reports in the Earthfiles Archive listed at the end of this report.
If anyone has more firsthand information about the source of the persistent and very loud booms, light flashes, military helicopters showing up, or other bizarre, unexplained sounds such as metal crashing and glass breaking without physical evidence, please email: email@example.com. All requests for anonymity are respected.
Stonington.patch.com, November 29, 2013
NBC Connecticut, November 29, 2013
The Montreal Gazette Original November 26, 2013 Story
The Montreal Gazette November 28, 2013
For further information about the mysterious boom, light flash and appearance of military helicopters doing grid searches afterward, please see boom reports below and in the Earthfiles Archive.
• 11/22/2013 — More Loud, Mysterious Booms in Kentucky and Illinois
• 09/13/2013 — More Mysterious Boom Reports
• 09/08/2013 — Mysterious New Boom Reports
• 09/05/2013 — Part 4: Avatars and Controllers
• 09/02/2013 — Part 3: New Jersey Abductee Describes E.T. Conflict Between Tall Humanoids about Humanity's Fate
• 08/05/2013 — More Unexplained Booms - Earthfiles Viewer Letters
• 06/28/2013 — Mystery Booms and Inner Earth Core Changes?
• 06/27/2013 — Unusual Jet Stream Melts Greenland Ice
• 06/07/2013 — More Unexplained Loud Booms
• 05/31/2013 — What's Causing Lakeport, Calif. Houses to Slide and Crack Up?
• 05/13/2013 — Persistent Sinkholes and Unexplained Booms
• 03/28/2013 — Updated: Woodland Hills, CA “Sound of Glass Breaking”; Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY
• 03/23/2013 — Mysterious Booms Over Multiple Counties in Florida and Illinois
• 03/19/2013 — Loud Booms in Louisville and Fort Knox, KY; Southern Illinois; Kamiah, Idaho; and Rhode Island
• 03/13/2013 — Strange Boom, Ice Craters and “Frozen Waves” in Newfoundland
• 03/10/2013 — UPDATED: “Sound Guns” - Viewer Comments
• 03/07/2013 — More Loud, Unexplained Booms in Bowling Green, KY, Elizabethtown, ILL, and Flint, MI
• 03/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms - A Secret Military Weapon?
• 03/01/2013 — After Mysterious Booms, Why Do Military Helicopters Fly Search Patterns Below 500 Feet Over Residential Houses?
• 02/20/2013 — Part 2: Unexplained Loud Booms and Light Flashes Persist in U. S.
• 02/16/2013 — Part 1: More Earth-Shaking Booms in Morristown, Tennessee and “Shock Wave” Booms in San Manuel, Arizona
• 02/06/2013 — Viewer Emails about Boom Mystery
• 02/01/2013 — Mysterious Booms and Light Flashes Across U. S.
• 01/25/2013 — Updated: Unexplained Loud Booms Persist in United States
• 01/11/2013 — Part 1: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/11/2013 — Part 2: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/11/2013 — Part 3: Could Computer-Interfaced Communication with Other Realms Be Linked to Strange, Unexplained Booms?
• 01/05/2013 — 26 Hours Before 7.5 Quake, Unexplained Rumbling Boom in Southcentral Alaska
• 12/08/2012 — What's Causing Mysterious Lights, Loud Booms and Strange Hum in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island?
• 11/15/2012 — Real X-Files: 1950 - 1983
• 11/11/2012 — Rapid, Unidentified Aerial Objects Over Denver and Strange Amber Cigar-Shaped Aerial Craft Near Philadelphia
• 11/03/2012 — Another Mysterious Translucent Aerial Object, This One Over Gardiner, New York
• 10/27/2012 — Unidentified Aerial Object As High As Jet Stream?
• 10/17/2012 — Loud Boom and 3-D Radar of Mysterious Aerial Object in NW Louisiana
• 08/26/2012 — Updated: More Unexplained Boom Sounds from Sweden to Calif: What's Happening Now in Sacramento? And What Happened August 21st In Oakland, California?
• 05/30/2012 — Updated: Mysterious Booms Heard May 27 and May 28 in Four West Michigan Counties
• 05/10/2012 — Mysterious Horn and Boom Sounds Still Being Heard
• 05/01/2012 — More Unexplained Booms in Boston and Beyond
• 04/26/2012 — Updated: Mysterious, Persistent Booms Throughout North America and England
• 04/22/2012 — Huge Boom Heard in Central California and Northwestern Nevada - Did Meteorite Hit?
• 04/08/2012 — Part 3: Confusion About North American Booms and Man-Made Quakes
• 03/30/2012 — Part 1: Updated 033021 with boom recordings - Mysterious Rattling Booms Expand from Clintonville to Montello, Wisconsin and Beyond.
• 03/30/2012 — Updated with boom audio Part 2: Boom Phenomenon in Several States and Canada
• 03/20/2012 — Two Nights of Mysterious Rattling Booms in Clintonville, WI
• 03/15/2012 — Updated 031512 - High Strangeness Email: Unidentified Aerial Craft, Strange Sounds and Door-Rattling Booms
• 03/01/2012 — Updated 030112: Solar CMEs Hitting Earth's Magnetic Fields - Do They Make Strange, Loud Sounds?
• 02/28/2012 — Strange Sounds in Washington State
• 02/23/2012 — Updated Feb. 23: Eerie, Strange Sounds Heard in Tennessee and Kansas
• 02/04/2012 — Video of Kiev-like Strange Sound in Amarillo, Texas: What Happened?
• 02/02/2012 — Updated: Earthfiles Email About Mysterious “Chorus of Trumpets” and Other Strange Sounds
• 01/29/2012 — Part 4: Tall, Cat-Eyed Beings in Pennsylvania Turnpike Abduction
• 01/26/2012 — Updated - Part 1: Photos of Unidentified Utah Aerial Craft - and Missing Time?
• 01/20/2012 — Part 3: Tall, Cat-Eyed Beings in Pennsylvania Turnpike Abduction
• 01/18/2012 — Part 2: Utah Aerial Craft, Missing Time and Cat-Eyed, Blond Beings
• 12/31/2011 — Updated - Part 1: Earthfiles Mail About High Strangeness
• 11/13/2011 — Updated: More Loud Booms in Virginia and Missouri; More Quakes in Oklahoma
• 10/27/2011 — More Mysterious Hum Reports from North America to China
• 10/12/2011 — Unidentified Orange Spheres, Discs and Entity Encounter in Kansas City, Missouri, Since April 2011
• 10/04/2011 — Updated: What Are Strange “Hums” That Keep People Awake?
• 10/03/2011 — Part 1: Viewer Letters About Strange, Loud Booms
• 09/30/2011 — High Strangeness in Australia's Northern Territory
• 06/07/2011 — What Are the Mysterious Booms?
• 05/13/2011 — More Viewer Letters About Mysterious Booms
• 05/11/2011 — Updated Reprints: Earthfiles Viewers Reports of Strange, Loud Booms
• 02/08/2011 — More Reports of Strange Booms and Aerial Lights
• 02/08/2011 — Part 5: Private Detective's Encounters with Non-Humans
• 01/29/2011 — Earthfiles Viewers Reports of Strange, Loud Booms
"No Answers for Rattled Old Mystic Residents About Mysterious Booms," November 29, 2013, Stonington.patch.com: http://groton.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/no-answers-for-rattled-old-mystic-groton-residents-about-mysterious-booms
"Mysterious 'Booms' Heard in Southeastern Connecticut," November 29, 2013, NBC Connecticut-TV: http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Mysterious-Booms-Heard-in-Southeastern-Connecticut-233837611.html
"Mystery of Tuesday's Big Boom Solved - Meteorite," November 28, 2013, The Montreal Gazette:
"What was that mysterious boom? Source of explosion unknown," November 26, 2013, The Montreal Gazette: http://www.montrealgazette.com/What+that+mysterious+boom/9216575/story.html
WPTZ TV News Channel 5, Burlington, Vermont: http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-york/plattsburgh/mysterious-boom-rocks-north-country/-/9277622/23177178/-/5ee7l3/-/index.html#ixzz2loUHRxPn
"Residents Around Hampton Roads Report Loud Booms," August 24, 2013, PilotOnline.com:
"Mysterious 'booms' still unexplained," March 16, 2013, The Daily News Online, Batavia, NY:
January 5, 2013, 1:30 AM Eastern, Salem, Massachusetts Light Flash and Loud Boom VIDEO:
"Mystery solved! Booms heard across Kentuckiana were from Ft. Knox," WDRB News 4:
"Unexplained Strange Booming Sounds Rattle Bowling Green in Plano/Alvaton Area, Kentucky, March 4, 2013":
"Mysterious "Explosion" Sounds Alarm People On Flint's East Side":
"Explosion or Just Noise?," Metropolis, Illinois, near Elizabethville, Illinois:
"Did You Hear the Loud Booms in Evansville, Indiana?," NBC Channel 14-TV: