“I would really like to know how they wound up there!
But I think that’s going to be one of the great mysteries because
if they traveled two miles on foot, they had to cross a large, busy road.”
– Sgt. Cathy Katzman, Charlotte County Animal Control
April 21, 2007 Port Charlotte, Florida – The Port Charlotte Sun-Herald reported on April 18, 2007, under the headline Cows! or The Bovine Invaders: “There were eight, big-eyed and long-horned, voraciously eating lawns and carelessly trampling the gardens that lay in their path. … Cindy Collins was one of those who called 911 when she saw the animals. Collins didn’t think anyone would believer her. ‘There’s cows at my house! There’s cows with horns!’ is what she told the 911 dispatcher.”
Cindy’s 911 call was around 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning, April 17, 2007. Other neighbors were also calling the police which called Charlotte County Animal Control. By 9:30 a.m., Sergeant Cathy Katzman arrived on the scene and managed to get the eight long-horns together in one place while she waited for Florida “cowboys” to come and round up the mysteriously displaced animals into a truck for safe keeping at Animal Control until they could find the owner.
Cathy Katzman, Sergeant, Charlotte County Animal Control Office, Fire Department/Public Safety, Port Charlotte, Florida: “ Because they looked like long-horns, I contacted the only person I knew who might own these cows. He came out, took a look at them, told me they were not his cows. He tried to help me find out where the cattle might have come from and neither one of us could find the property.
My department contacted some local cowboys that we knew and who had helped out on previous calls for other animals and they came out, rounded up the eight head of cattle and transported them to our impound area which is in Punta Gorda.
Corral Gate “Taken Off Its Hinges”
On April 19, I was contacted by a gentleman who thought they might be his. He came to our office and identified the cows through photographs, described the animals to me and described their brands. The cattle are in fact his. He does not know how they escaped the confinement area that he had them in, but he did tell me that his gate had been taken off its hinges. But neither of us can figure out how the eight long-horn cattle ended up where they did.
WHERE WERE THE CATTLE BEFORE THEY ENDED UP IN PORT CHARLOTTE?
They were on a piece of property approximately two miles east, if you could draw a straight line, from where they were supposed to be off of a road called Loveland Blvd., which is here in Charlotte County. It’s one of the few areas here in Port Charlotte where you can have livestock.
He’s a local man who lives in DeSoto County, which is the neighboring county. And he had the eight long-horn cattle on a piece of leased property in Charlotte County. When he contacted us, he said, ‘I believe you have my cows!’ (Owner’s name withheld at Animal Control’s request.)
They’re all long-horns and fairly young. Two of them had their year brands on them. One was a 4, which tells me that she was born in 2004. The other was a 5, which tells me she was born in 2005. So the animals are somewhere between two and three years of age.
WHAT DID THE OWNER SAY ABOUT THE GATE LIFTED OFF ITS HINGES?
He’s not sure if someone was doing vandalism or trying to steal the cattle. He’s not sure what was going on there. He is going to file an offense report with our Charlotte County Sheriff’s Department just in case there are any further problems out there at his leased property.
DID HE SAY HE FOUND ANYTHING UNUSUAL AT THE GATE HINGES?
No, he didn’t. He just told me that the gate had been removed.
WAS THE GATE LYING ANYWHERE NEAR THE CORRAL?
It was apparently lying off to the side.
HAD HE EVER HAD ANYTHING LIKE THAT HAPPEN BEFORE?
Not that he stated to me, no.
HAVE YOU EVER ENCOUNTERED ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE?
I haven’t encountered it personally, but I have heard from various ranchers in our area where they are having problems with people going in and cutting their fences, usually to get to something on the other side to go 4-wheeling. They’ll go in by cutting the fence and the cows will get loose. But you usually find out when it’s too late after the cows are gone.
With these eight long-horns, somebody might have been trying to pull a prank or somebody was trying to trespass on his property. It could have been that someone was trying to take the cows. This is speculation. I don’t really know.
Home Corral Is 2 Miles East of Port Charlotte Neighborhood
HOW DID THE CATTLE TRAVEL TWO MILES FROM THEIR ORIGINAL CORRAL INTO PORT CHARLOTTE?
(laughs) That’s what I would like to know because they had to cross a very busy road. We didn’t get the first call (at 7:30 am) until after they wound up in the neighborhood. The road that they crossed, Kings Highway, is heavily traveled and it’s beyond me how anyone could have been going down that road and not seen eight cows, either trying to cross or standing on the side! (laughs)
IT’S ALMOST AS IF THEY WERE PICKED UP BY SOMETHING IN THE AIR FROM WHERE THEY ORIGINATED AND THEN WERE PUT DOWN IN PORT CHARLOTTE FROM THE AIR?
Yeah, you could say that. They just kind of appeared out of nowhere quite literally.
WERE THE CATTLE ON TUESDAY MORNING AGITATED, NERVOUS OR DISORIENTED?
They seemed a little nervous. They were in an environment they weren’t used to. There were neighbors coming out and possibly spooking them. But when there weren’t people around, they stayed very calm in the area where I had them until the cowboys could come out and round them up.
SO, IT’S FAIR TO SAY THAT WHATEVER HAPPENED, YOU STILL HAVE A BIG MYSTERY ABOUT HOW THESE EIGHT LONG-HORNS GOT FROM THEIR ORIGINAL LOCATION 2 MILES TO THE EAST TO THE PORT CHARLOTTE NEIGHBORHOOD?
Exactly. I would really like to know how they wound up there! But I think that’s going to be one of the great mysteries because if they traveled two miles on foot, they had to cross a large, busy road.”
In the book, The Dyfed Enigma, © 1979 by Randall Jones Pugh and F. W. Holiday, in Chapter 5 the authors report the mysterious and repeated transport in England of cows from one farmer’s gated pasture to another farmer’s pasture about a mile away – in the night.
In the Ripperston-Broadmoore area at Ripperston Farm run by farmer Billie Coombes,
“…a herd of some 100 cattle had escaped during the night about half a dozen times. On these occasions the entire herd had apparently slipped silently past the house, gone down the lane, then turned down a side-road to end up at Broadmoore Farm, half a mile away. This meant that over an hour was wasted in bringing the animals back.
Pugh asked Billie Coombes: ‘How can you account to me that about 100 cattle – fully-grown beasts – get out of a bolted yard, without anyone opening the gate, and creep past the house without disturbing yourself or any member of the family or your dog, Blackie, and manage to travel half a mile to a neighbour’s field?’
‘It’s the same as I said at the time, they must have flew there!’
‘What was the state of the gate when you went over to the yard?’
‘It was still locked! That’s the funny part of it. It was still locked, but there were no cattle in it!'”
Another remarkable fact described by Billie Coombes to Randall Jones Pugh was, “The cows can’t cross any of the fields (on foot) because of electric fences.”
For further information about mysterious animal disappearances and deaths, see my books An Alien Harvest, the 2-volume Glimpses of Other Realities, and my documentary films in the Earthfiles Shop. Also, please visit the Earthfiles Archives for the reports below:
- 01/02/2007 — Grey Aerial Disk Reported by Chicago O’Hare United Airlines Pilots and Mechanics
- 11/24/2006 — Scientific Data Supports Theory Mutilated Montana Cow Dropped from Sky and Bounced
- 11/16/2006 — Pregnant Cows Disappear in Ohio; Horses Beheaded in Vancouver
- 10/19/2006 — Another Cattle Mutilation in Pondera County, Montana
- 10/02/2006 — Unusual Deaths of Six Female Goats in White Salmon, Washington
- 09/29/2006 — Manipulation of Time and Matter by Non-Humans: The Experiences of Jim Sparks
- 09/20/2006 — Animal Mutilations Increase Again in Argentina
- 09/20/2006 — Updated: Three Sets of Concentric Rings in South Texas Field
- 09/13/2006 — Part 2: Enchanting Wheat Bundles of Charlbury, Wiltshire
- 09/05/2006 — Part 2: “Alphonso Lorenzo” – Military Visitor to Another Planet?
- 09/04/2006 — Part 1: “Alphonso Lorenzo” – Military Visitor to Another Planet?
- 08/23/2006 — More Cat and Dog Mutilations
- 08/17/2006 — Military Helicopter Aggression Toward Red Sphere in U. K.
- 08/16/2006 — Etchilhampton August 15, 2006, Wheat Formation
- 07/28/2006 — 1940s USAF Flight Surgeon’s Account of E. T. Autopsy
- 07/18/2006 — 2006 – Hottest Year So Far in U. S. History
- 07/01/2006 — Cattle Mutilation and Glowing Discs in Saskatchewan, Canada
- 06/29/2006 — Another Horse Suspended in the Air
- 06/28/2006 — Half Cats in Destin, Florida, and Beheaded Animals in Rochester, N. Y.
- 06/22/2006 — Horse Suspended in Mid-Air Near Milan, Italy, Apartment
- 06/13/2006 — Mysterious Triangle-Shaped Welts and Bruises
- 06/11/2006 — Updated: Two Mysterious Circles in Wheat Baffle Kansas Farmer
- 06/01/2006 — Recent Cattle Mutilations in Kiowa County, Colorado
- 05/05/2006 — Military Man’s Description of EBE Telepathic Download
- 04/28/2006 — Modern Warfare Applied to Extra-Terrestrial Invasion
- 04/03/2006 — Genetic Harvest in Cimarron, New Mexico?
- 02/27/2006 — Part 4: Military Voices Reply About Government Interaction with UFOs
- 01/27/2006 — Part 2: Navy Physicist and USAF Geophysicist Discuss UFOs and ETs
- 01/13/2006 — 31st Cattle Mutilation on Red Bluff, California Ranch
- 11/02/2005 — Part 3: Unusual Animal Deaths -Sheep Mutilations in Moortown, Dartmoor, England
- 10/30/2005 — Unusual Animal Deaths – Another Half Cat Mutilation in San Antonio, Texas
- 10/27/2005 — Updated Part 1: Unusual Animal Deaths – 22 Horses and 1 Burro Near Calhan, Colorado
- 10/22/2005 — A Lifting Beam Technology in Colorado Human Abduction
- 10/03/2005 — 2005 Horse Mutilation in France
- 09/15/2005 — Animal Mutilations Reported in Switzerland, Hollywood and Kansas
- 08/26/2005 — Another Cattle Mutilation in Canada
- 08/22/2005 — More Half Cat Reports: San Jose and Seattle
- 08/13/2005 — Mystery of Bloodless, Decapitated Kangaroos in Melbourne, Australia
- 08/11/2005 — Part 4: Two Men See Cow Mutilated in Light Beam
- 08/03/2005 — Another Cattle Mutilation in Pondera County, Montana
- 08/02/2005 — Part 1: Anomalies Confirmed in Pennsylvania and Arizona Randomly Downed Crops
- 07/28/2005 — Feedback on Half Cat Mystery
- 07/14/2005 — More Half Cat Mutilations in Seattle, Washington Region
- 07/07/2005 — Part 2: Eyewitness Description of Cattle Mutilation
- 07/04/2005 — Part 1: Eyewitness Description of Cattle Mutilation
- 07/01/2005 — U. K. Bicyclist Reports Mysterious, Low Hovering Objects Bending Wheat
- 06/23/2005 — Updated: More Than 3,000 Unusual Animal Deaths Reported in Argentina and Chile Since 2002
- 06/17/2005 — Unusual Cow Death in Paradise Hill, Saskatchewan, Canada
- 04/13/2005 — Highly Strange Dog Death in Arkansas; 2000-Pound Bull Dropped On Log Pile
- 02/21/2005 — Updated – Bull and Cow Mutilations Northwest of Corpus Christi, Texas
- 01/15/2005 — Bull and Cow Mutilations Northwest of Corpus Christi, Texas
- 12/22/2004 — Part 1: “Reasons Why U.S. Government CAN’T Release Truth About UFOs!” with Canadian Researcher, Grant Cameron
- 12/22/2004 — Part 2: “Reasons Why U.S. Government CAN’T Release Truth About UFOs!” with Canadian Researcher, Grant Cameron
- 12/10/2004 — Part 4: “Peculiar Phenomena,” V-2 Rockets – and UFOB Retaliation?
- 12/10/2004 — Part 3: “Peculiar Phenomena,” V-2 Rockets – and UFOB Retaliation?
- 12/07/2004 — Part 2: “Peculiar Phenomena,” V-2 Rockets – and UFOB Retaliation?
- 12/04/2004 — Part 1: “Peculiar Phenomena,” V-2 Rockets – and UFOB Retaliation?
- 09/25/2004 — Part 6: “Clearview” Report on the Investigation of UFO Experiences on A Rocky Mountain Ranch
- 09/13/2004 — Part 1: “Clearview” Report on the Investigation of UFO Experiences on A Rocky Mountain Ranch
- 08/11/2004 — Newborn Heifer Mutilation in Anderson, California, on August 7, 2004
- 07/27/2004 — Part 12: UFO Crash/Retrievals: The Inner Sanctum – Status Report VI © July 1991 by Leonard H. Stringfield
- 07/21/2004 — The Apollo Program, Cape Canaveral and UFOs
- 04/26/2004 — Update About Microbiologist Dan Burisch, Ph.D.
- 02/24/2004 — Part 1: UFO Crash/Retrievals: The Inner Sanctum – Status Report VI © July 1991 by Leonard H. Stringfield
- 01/24/2004 — Oregon Man’s Experiences with High Strangeness
- 12/21/2003 — Part 4 – UFO Crash/Retrievals, Status Report VII by Len Stringfield
- 10/28/2003 — Part 2 – U. S. Presidents and UFO Investigations
- 09/12/2003 — More Domestic Cat Mutilations – Again in Bothell, Washington
- 08/01/2003 — Field Notes About English Animal Mutilations
- 07/01/2003 — 40 Small Animal Mutilations in Denver and 11 in Salt Lake City
- 05/28/2003 — Cat and Dog Mutilations in Salt Lake City; $6,500 Reward
- 04/19/2003 — Unusual Animal Deaths in Valparaiso, Nebraska
- 03/08/2003 — Cattle Mutilation – The Unthinkable Truth, Chapter 3, Part Two
- 02/03/2003 — Cattle Mutilation – The Unthinkable Truth, Chapter 3, Part One
- 12/07/2002 — Cattle Mutilation – The Unthinkable Truth, Chapter 1, Part Three
- 11/16/2002 — More Cat and Cow Mutilations: Colorado, Utah and Missouri
- 11/05/2002 — Canadian Crop Circles and Mysterious Lights in Saskatchewan
- 10/15/2002 — Chapter 8 – Mystery Stalks The Prairie
- 10/05/2002 — Part 1 – Two Scientists Describe An Extraterrestrial Biological Entity Called “J-Rod”
- 10/05/2002 — Part 2 – J-Rod and Microbiologist Danny B Burisch, Ph.D.
- 09/07/2002 — High Strangeness Continues in Argentina
- 08/31/2002 — One ET Experiencer’s Reaction to the Winchester Formation
- 07/19/2002 — Unusual Animal Deaths and Unidentified Aerial Lights Persist in Argentina
- 07/02/2002 — Argentina’s SENASA Blames Mouse for Animal Mutilations
- 06/22/2002 — Argentina Animal Mutilation Count Rising Above 100 – Federal SENASA and INTA Investigations Have Begun
- 06/17/2002 — Part 3 – Deer and Cattle Mutilations in Oregon
- 06/15/2002 — Cattle Mutilations In LaPampa, Argentina
- 05/18/2002 — A Bull Mutilation in Christmas Valley, Oregon
- 03/16/2002 — Part 1 – ‘Huge Saucer Armada’ Shocked Farmington, New Mexico 52 Years Ago
- 01/12/2002 — Part 1 – Update On 2001 Montana Cattle Mutilations
- 10/13/2001 — Heifer Mutilation and Mysterious Light in Mantario, Saskatchewan, Canada
- 08/24/2001 — Part 2 – Unusual Montana Mutilation of Live Bull
- 07/28/2001 — Pure Hemoglobin Confirmed On Alabama Mutilated Cow
- 07/22/2001 — Mutilated Bull Calf in Missouri
- 06/09/2001 — Environmental Updates and Colt Mutilated in Leitchfield, Kentucky
- 05/11/2001 — Horse Slashings and Deaths in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 10/15/2000 — Part 1 – Hardened Bovine Hemoglobin Found On California Mutilated Bull
- 10/15/2000 — Mutilated Heifer Found Near Boulder, Colorado
- 04/16/2000 — A Close Encounter with a Disc in Wyoming
- 03/29/2000 — Mysterious Calf Deaths In Brothers, Oregon
- 02/06/2000 — Large Yellow Sphere In Snohomish, Washington
- 12/26/1999 — Hubble Repair, Gamma Ray Bursts and Unidentified Aerial Objects
- 12/22/1999 — Update – Unidentified “Arrowhead”-Shaped Object in California Sky
- 09/12/1999 — Unusual Animal Deaths, Part 1: Nevada
- 08/25/1999 — Unusual Animal Deaths in Australia and London, England
- 01/24/1999 — Nuclear Sabotage in Maryland; Bull Mutilation in Colorado; and Global Warming
© 1998 - 2022 by Linda Moulton Howe.
All Rights Reserved.