“In March we patrolled the area and everything was normal…We went again in May and to our surprise, we found the lake had completely disappeared. The only things left were chunks of ice on the dry lake bed and an enormous fissure.”
– Juan Jose Romero, Reg. Dir., CONAF
June 21, 2007 Santiago, Chile – Chile’s National Forestry Corporation (CONAF) reports that water in a well known lake covering perhaps as much as ten acres 100-feet-deep in the Magallanes region near Chile’s southern tip has vanished.
CONAF’s Regional Director, Juan Jose Romero, told Reuters: “In March we patrolled the area and everything was normal. …We went again in May and to our surprise, we found the lake had completely disappeared. The only things left were chunks of ice on the dry lake bed and an enormous fissure.”
The lake water source was largely melting glaciers. Some speculate that perhaps between the March and May patrols, there was an earthquake that opened up the fissure and all the lake water went underground. That hypothesis is unproved, but Southern Chile has had thousands of minor earthquakes in 2007 – although no specific seismic event is known to have occurred between March and May at the lake site.
- 06/01/2007 —Is Earth Close to Dangerous Tipping Point in Global Warming?
05/18/2007 —Antarctica: Unprecedented Western Ice Melt and CO2-Saturated Southern Ocean
- 03/17/2007 —Honey Bee Disappearances Continue: Could Pesticides Play A Role?
- 02/23/2007 —Scientists Hope “Amphibian Arks” Can Save Frogs and Toads
- 02/23/2007 —Part 1: Earth Life Threats – Alarming Disappearance of Honey Bees
- 02/23/2007 —Part 2: Earth Life Threats – “Noah’s Ark” for World’s Seeds
- 02/02/2007 —Updated: New U. N. Global Climate Change Report: Earth Could Warm Up 3.2 to 11.52 Degrees Fahrenheit by 2100
- 01/13/2007 —Confusing Sun: Will Solar Cycle 24 Be Most Intense On Record?
- 01/10/2007 —2006: USA’s Warmest Year On Record
- 12/16/2006 —Updated: Unprecedented Die-Off of 2,500 Mallard Ducks in Idaho
- 12/07/2006 —Earth Headed for Warmest Period in 55 Million Years?
- 11/09/2006 —Outer Space Sunshade to Cool Earth in Global Warming?
- 09/09/2006 —Methane – Another Threat in Global Warming
- 08/23/2006 —Solar Cycle 24 – Headed for Intense X Flares by 2010-2012?
- 08/19/2006 —Repair of Earth’s Ozone Layer Has Slowed
- 07/18/2006 —2006 – Hottest Year So Far in U. S. History
- 06/24/2006 —”High Confidence” Earth Is Warmest in 400 Years – Maybe Even 2,000 Years
- 04/08/2006 —Recent Caribbean Coral Reef Die-Off Biggest Ever Seen
- 03/17/2006 —Planet Earth’s Ice Melt
- 02/20/2006 —Mysterious Deaths of Whales in Mexico
- 11/18/2005 —Is the Sun Heating Up?
- 10/07/2005 —Warmer Sea Surfaces and Increased Wind Power Are Making Hurricanes Stronger
- 09/29/2005 —2005 Arctic Summer Ice Melt – Largest On Record
- 09/23/2005 —Phenomenon of “Instant” Hurricanes in 2005
- 09/23/2005 —9 X-Class Solar Flares Between September 7 – 19, 2005.
- 08/26/2005 —What Is Killing Amphibians Around the World?
- 08/18/2005 —Unusual Summer Swarm of Arkansas Copperheads
- 08/05/2005 —Scientists Puzzled by “Bizarre” Pacific Coast Die-offs in 2005
- 05/11/2005 —Greenland Sea Cold Water Re-Cycling Has Nearly Stopped. Britain Expected to Become Cooler.
- 05/07/2005 —Did Milky Way Gas and Dust Turn Earth Into Icy Snowball Four Times?
- 02/26/2005 —Collapse of Societies: From Easter Island to Iraq – to Western World?
- 02/03/2005 —Kyoto Protocol Goes Into Effect February 16, 2005. British Scientists Warn Global Temperatures Could Climb Higher Than Earlier Estimates.
- 01/22/2005 —From U. S. to Arctic – A Sea Change in the Weather
- 12/31/2004 —Abrupt Climate Change Occurred Worldwide 5,200 Years Ago
- 11/02/2004 —North Pole Summers Without Ice?
- 10/15/2004 —Ever-Increasing Carbon Dioxide Build-Up in Atmosphere Since 1958
- 09/17/2004 —Cat 4 and 5 Hurricanes Charley, Frances and Ivan in Four Weeks -Unprecedented in American Recorded Weather History
- 08/27/2004 —Global Warming Impact On Birds – More Extinctions Expected
- 08/14/2004 —Oceans Are Absorbing A Lot of Greenhouse CO2. As Chemistry Changes, What Happens to Sea Life?
- 08/01/2004 —Sixth Straight Year Hundreds of Birds Die at Roestler Lake, North Dakota.
- 02/27/2004 —Abrupt Climate Change: Scenario from A Pentagon-Commissioned Report
- 11/29/2003 —Glaciers Are Melting Around the World So Fast That Water Supplies Could Be Threatened
- 05/30/2003 —Scientists Surprised by Common House Fly Fossils in Antarctica
- 12/14/2002 —Arctic Rivers’ Fresh Water Flows Could Change Atlantic Ocean Current
- 11/14/2002 —What Happened 12,000 Years Ago That Killed So Many Animals?
- 10/21/2002 —Mt. Kilimanjaro’s Ice Cap Is Melting Fast
- 08/27/2002 —August 2002: Severe to Moderate Drought in 37 States
- 07/20/2002 —Extinctions of Earth Life Are Accelerating Rapidly
- 06/04/2002 —EPA Admits Humans Burning Fossil Fuels A Big Factor in Global Warming
- 03/30/2002 —Drought Worsens in United States
- 03/21/2002 —Antarctic Peninsula Is Melting – And So Is Arctic Ice
- 02/13/2002 —January 2002 Warmest On Record For Whole World
- 01/30/2002 —Latest Satellite Data Shows Surprisingly Thicker Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica
- 01/05/2002 —Global Warming Update – Could Increasing CO2 Be Transformed Into Limestone?
- 12/22/2001 —Scientists Warn That Climate and Earth Life Can Change Rapidly
- 04/18/2001 —April Environmental Updates
- 03/24/2001 —Alps Permafrost Melting
- 03/21/2001 —Earth Hasn’t Been This Warm Since the Pliocene 3 Million Years Ago
- 03/04/2001 —Disappearing Glaciers – Evidence of A Rapidly Warming Earth
- 02/25/2001 —Environmental Updates
- 02/18/2001 —Environmental Updates and Mysterious Deaths of 2000 Atlantic Brant Geese
- 02/07/2001 —94% Decline In Aleutian Islands Sea Otter Population
- 01/28/2001 —U. N. Global Warming Forecast: Up to 10.5 Degrees F. Hotter At End of 21st Century
- 11/26/2000 —Environmental Updates
- 10/30/2000 —Science, Environment and Medical Updates
- 09/10/2000 —Largest-Ever Antarctic Ozone Hole
- 09/10/2000 —Arctic Ice Melt Threatens Polar Bears
- 07/09/2000 —The “Cell from Hell” Is Back in North Carolina Estuaries
- 07/02/2000 —Brown Tide Devastating Long Island’s Great South Bay Shellfish
- 06/17/2000 —Spring 2000 – Hottest On Record in U. S.
- 05/07/2000 —Serious Drought in the Great Lakes
- 04/20/2000 —Severe Arctic Ozone Loss and Deep Ocean Warming
- 03/12/2000 —Environmental Updates and Mysterious Fires Near Scott, Arkansas
- 01/13/2000 —Computer Projections About Earth Weather 2000-2100
- 01/09/2000 —Global Warming Alert from NOAA and U.K.
- 12/25/1999 —Y2K Nuclear Concern and Global Warming Update
- 09/26/1999 —Could Ancient Microbes in Polar Ice Cause Epidemics?
- 07/25/1999 —Maryland Fish Kills; Global Warming; and Warm Oceans and Disease
- 06/04/1999 —Global Warming Linked to Increasingly Warmer and Wetter Winters in Europe & Western North America
- 05/05/1999 —Two Antarctic Ice Shelves Almost Gone
- 02/28/1999 —Chickadee Beak Deformities in Alaska
Chile National Forest Corp: http://www.conaf.cl/
Journal Science: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/308/5727/1429
Ohio State University: http://www.osu.edu/features/2006/globalwarning/
© 1998 - 2018 by Linda Moulton Howe.
All Rights Reserved.