Return to: Previous Odd Aerial “Drone?” Earthfiles.
June 8, 2007 Albuquerque, New Mexico – On June 7, 2007, Ufocasebook.com received three more “drone” images (by “Stephen”) allegedly taken in Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California, northwest of San Jose, on June 5, 2007. This is a more sinister-looking machine than the previous four versions: Central California (Chad); Lake Tahoe (MUFON); Capitola (rajman1977); and Birmingham, Alabama (John Smith). See accompanying letter below in More Information.
1) June 5, 2007, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California,
Four Drone Images by “Stephen”
2) Email from Computer Digital Expert:
From: British Digital Professional
Subject: Dragonfly UFO
Date: June 8, 2007
To: [email protected]
I have been listening to your Earthfiles podcast’s and also your reports on Coast and Whitley’s Dreamland show since they have become available to us in the UK via podcasts.
There has been a lot of controversy over the images sent to Lex and George Noory at Coast to Coast AM.
Personally I work as a Graphic Designer and have been professionally using Adobe Photoshop since version 1 became available, when the Apple Mac II came to market as the first colour computer, which had the capability of colour image manipulations.
Photoshop has only ever been capable of image manipulation and can not make 3D images as used in the Hollywood CGI FX business. For this one needs to use a programme like Alias Wavefront, Lightwave or Maya. Once this image has been constructed and textured plus the lighting applied and the image rendered one can use Photoshop to place the image on a photographic background.
So when people say the dragonfly UFO or any other image has been ‘Photoshoped’ then, technically speaking, this is incorrect as the whole process takes far more than just Photoshop to complete and therefore such statements are misleading.
As I have nearly 20 years experience of using the Photoshop application and other 3D CGI applications, I for one, believe these images are real, meaning that I can see no mistakes if it is a manipulation.
I always listen to your reports and podcasts. Using science as a foundation to your reports gives you a great way of putting this information over.
Please keep up the good work,
LD, Website & Graphic Design Consultant
3) Eyewitness, June 10, 2006, Yosemite National Park, California
Subject: I’ve seen the “Aerial Drone” at Yosemite, story and sketch included
Date: May 23, 2007
To: [email protected]
A friend of mine came across your recent reports on the ‘aerial drones’ that have been sighted lately around California, and immediately forwarded them to me with the subject line, ‘Would you like your payment in fives or tens?’ The reason is that last summer, I took my two boys on a camping trip to Yosemite and encountered what I could only call a UFO at the time (unidentified flying object). I told the story to an old friend and coworker of mine, who did her best to be supportive, but just couldn’t quite accept the story ‘as-is’. We made a friendly bet ($20) that at some point, someone else would see what I saw and would come forward with information that backed up my story. Your recent reports bear such a resemblance to what I described to her that she paid me without argument (in two brand-new $10 bills, by the way 😉
Attached is a sketch of what I saw. As you can see, it’s not identical to the photos you’ve posted, but it’s obvious they’re related.
As for the story itself, it took place on the 10th of June, 2006. I know this because our trip lasted from the 9th to the 11th and this took place on the second night we were there. So the date as I remember it is definitely accurate.
It was about a half hour before sundown and we were about 10 minutes from our camp site (we were looking for marshmallow roasting sticks.) We first noticed this ‘thing’ almost directly above us, not much higher than the tops of the trees. It looked just like the sketch, despite my lack of drawing skill, and was moving extremely slowly. The way it moved really looked effortless. As you can see in the sketch, it was like two very long, thin shapes connected with a ring. The arms looked just like the photos you posted although I don’t remember seeing any of the lettering. It was getting pretty dark, though, so I’m not going to say it wasn’t there, I just don’t remember seeing anything like that. Coming off the top of the ring were those same curved spike things in the photos. Unlike the other pictures I’ve seen, however, the thing I saw also had a kind of ‘arm’ that reached down from the ring as well. I have no idea what any of these features were for, as I never saw it ‘do’ anything other than fly around.
My hearing hasn’t been that great for the last few years, so I can’t say I heard it make any sounds, but my sons both said they remember hearing a very faint crackling noise that sounds similar to what your articles mention. What I did notice was more of a ‘feeling’ than a sound. If you can imagine ‘feeling’ the chopping sound of a helicopter, rather than hearing it, and if you can imagine it much faster, then that’s a pretty good idea of what it was like. But it was extremely faint, and I admit it’s the part of the story I remember the least clearly. So make of that what you will.
I was very unsettled at first. I’ve been around long enough to know when something doesn’t ‘look right,’ and this was one of those things. I’ve also been camping since I was a girl and this is the first time I’ve ever seen anything strange in the sky. The boys, however, were fascinated, and my oldest (who is 10) decided to shine his flashlight on it to get a better look. By the way, the flashlight he was carrying was a gift from my ex-husband, is extremely powerful, and is his favorite thing to toy around with on these trips.
I didn’t even have a chance to react to what he was doing when things got weird- it was like the moment the light hit the thing, it jerked very quickly and started to move in another direction. The boys found this amusing to say the least. They chased after it and hit it with the light again, which caused it to change direction a second time. I of course ran to keep up with them, which was the first movement I made since I first saw the thing. They did this maybe three or four more times until it finally stopped reacting to them and just – stopped. Like, literally froze in the air without even slowing down. I must say, seeing this thing totally motionless was a lot more unsettling than seeing it move. Even the boys stopped in their tracks at that point. It just hung there for about 5 seconds, and then got going again.
From then on it stuck to its direction (still moving very slowly) and no longer jerked around. You could say that this moved like the other reports, like a “water insect” as I think you put it, but in our case it only seemed to do this in reaction to the flashlights, not on its own.
I must admit, I was amazed at how the boys took it all in stride, and this made me a lot more at ease. Plus, the way this thing freaked out whenever a flashlight touched it made it seem almost harmless in a way. I guess I never felt all that scared because I never felt out of control. Of course I worry about my sons more than anything else, but seeing them laugh and shine their flashlights around under this thing made it seem like there was nothing to worry about (whether that was true or not). It didn’t look anything like the so-called ‘UFOs’ we’ve all seen, so I wasn’t even thinking about aliens and monsters and stuff. In fact, my first ‘rationalization’ was that it had something to do with weather tracking. Just thinking back on it as I write this, it was more weird than it was frightening.
This thing never made a big dramatic exit like your articles mention. It was moving generally in the direction of our camp site, so we were able to follow it as we walked back, and arrived at our tent just as the sun went down. It kept going, and from then on we never saw it again, including the next night.
My oldest in particular had a lot of questions when it was all over, so I simply leveled with him. I had no idea! I mentioned the weather tracking idea and he seemed to accept it, but I didn’t hide the fact that I wasn’t sure. I really was lucky this wasn’t a scarier experience, because I honestly don’t know what I would have done to explain it or calm the boys down.
The last thing worth mentioning is that about an hour after the event ended, just as I was falling asleep, I heard an – extremely – loud, high-pitched sound come from somewhere in the distance. It sounded like it was coming from a long ways off, but was still loud enough to startle the hell out of us. It was like a buzzing, but – very – loud and very brief. I have no idea if it had anything to do with the craft, but I though I’d mention it.
I just looked back and realized I’ve pretty much written a novel in this email. 😉 Sorry to ramble, but it’s been almost a year since this happened and in this whole time I haven’t had a chance to dump the full story out and not worry that people are going to call the men in white coats. For similar reasons, I’ve asked the boys to refrain from talking much about it, at least in class. Of course they’ve already blabbed it to all their friends but it hasn’t been a big deal so far.
Fortunately unlike what you posted on the site, none of us have suffered any headaches or anything like that. Not yet, that is! 😉
Anyway, I hope this information is useful to you, and I’ll be reading your site in the future to see if this whole mystery can be figured out. I think I’ve shared everything here, but if there’s anything else you’d like to know just ask. It’s good to know that other people have seen these things and that someone appears to be working hard to figure out what it’s all about. Keep it up!”
4) Eyewitness, May 17, 2006, 10:20 PM, Northridge, California
It was May 17, 2006 at 10:20 P.M. Thursday, Northridge Ca. Driving west towards Canoga Park on Parthenia Street. Driving to the corner of Corbin Ave
and Parthenia and about 50 yards to go before reaching the intersection of Corbin Ave. One other pickup truck was in the lane to my right and slightly behind me. In front of us there were single family homes. Visibility was clear. We could see the night sky clearly just west of the corner of Corbin Ave. There was a tall, fully rounded tree which was very visible. It is a tree that you can’t miss noticing as it dominates the view. There are other smaller trees there.
When suddenly about three feet above that tree there was a display of fluorescent lighting that was similar to firecracker sparklers. The color was apple green, the color of a pippins apple – only the color was brilliant. It took the shape of a horseshoe crab when viewed from the side.
It spread about 30 to 35 ft. The bottom was a straight line to its tail that
forms a point. The top is round from the front to the top and tapering gradually to the point of its tail. This thing whatever it was, and sparkling, took off at the speed of thought and was gone in a blink.
Needless to say, it caused both of us to jam on our brakes. We (parallel drivers) looked at each other and simultaneously said, ‘What the hell was that?!’
Now after seeing the first (Chad) pictures where one of them was sideways and showing some kind of wire structure on top that would ignite into sparkles, I can easily see that it would form the shape of a horseshoe crab.
Anyway, Linda, I hopes this helps you with your investigation.”
Return to: Previous Odd Aerial “Drone?” Earthfiles.
If viewers have seen/photographed/videotaped similar aerial drones, please email [email protected]
Letters with Big Basin Redwoods State Park Drone Images
(I found a number of email addresses and was not sure which you checked most, so I just played it safe and sent to all of them. I hope this is okay.
My name is Jenna and I participate in a listserv for photographers in Saratoga, CA. Today a member named Stephen posted some pictures he took yesterday (the 5th) for a class assignment in the area around Big Basin. The pictures very clearly depict some kind of large object in the sky, and he was able to get two clear shots and one out-of-focus shot before it apparently disappeared. I recognized certain details on this object immediately because a friend had sent me your About.com article on different UFOs that have appeared recently with a similar appearance.
Now, I should mention that this is a private listserv for a very close-knit group. I have met almost everyone that participates in person and I have met Stephen in particular many times, so I take his word seriously.
We have been discussing it for the last couple of hours and I suggested we start by sending pictures to your web site since you clearly have some familiarity with this situation so far. Unfortunately I’m not a moderator of this listserv and can’t give you access, but I can send you copies of the discussion as it develops if you would like to stay abreast. Let me know.
Stephen has given me permission to contact you with his photos and information and you may email him directly if you wish. We don’t have any special need for anonymity on this matter and if you would like to post this email along with the photos you may do so. I would be interested in hearing from the other photographers of this kind of craft in particular and seeing what this is all about! The following is his first listserv email which was sent earlier this afternoon:
2) Stephen 06/06/2007 14:42:31 PST
okay, where to begin — yesterday I was up around big basin for my assignment like I’ve been mentioning for the last couple weeks — the theme for those that don’t remember was photographing something at a small scale against a large scale backdrop to contrast scales and to play with depth of field etc — I chose to photograph a couple of flower/weed things growing right on the edge of a drop off with the valley in the background — I’m still using the rebel xt I bought off mark which is slr so I’m looking at everything through a viewfinder when I notice something _appear_ in the distance, like just pop out of nowhere —
I look up and there is this _huge_ who-knows-what-the-xxx _floating_ in the distance and rotating very slowly and jerkily (is that a word lol) — almost by reflex I take another shot which is focused in on it this time and go to stand up but practically fall over because I cant even think straight —
I was able to get one more shot which came out kind of blurred and then the thing _vanished_ — like, as in, now you see it now you don’t — I attached the pictures so you guys can check them out before I really decide to do something with them — are these going to the 6 o’clock news or what — any feedback would be great before i make a major decision here — also btw I attached three pictures the first is when it _first_ appeared right as I was taking a shot of the flowers but I wanted you guys to see everything i saw — sorry I only got 3 pix but this thing was seriously gone in like a matter of secs
also btw — I am planning to return to the area this weekend with the camera and anyone else who wants to join me — I’m seriously going to spend all day hiking around to see if it shows up again if it does I am going to get a million shots of this thing if it does — you seriously have to see it to even believe it so _anyone_ who wants to come me let me know — the more people that see this the better because I don’t even need to tell you that so far this is a pretty crazy situation and I want some witnesses to back me up.
For further information about other unusual aerial craft, please see Earthfiles Archive, such as the brief excerpt of reports below:
- 11/05/2007 —CIA Origin of National Enquirer?
- 16/03/2007 —Tenth Anniversary, March 1997 Phoenix Lights: What Was 2-Mile-Long Triangular Craft?
- 13/03/2007 —Part 4: Mysterious Events At 2005 Tawsmead Copse “Insectogram” Crop Formation
- 09/03/2007 —Zones of Fear and Diamond-Shaped Aerial Light
- 04/03/2007 —Part 2: Mysterious Events At 2005 Tawsmead Copse “Insectogram” Crop Formation
- 18/02/2007 —Part 4: Tappen, North Dakota, High Strangeness Provokes Many Emails from Viewers and Listeners
- 14/02/2007 —Part 3: Tappen, North Dakota, High Strangeness Provokes Many Emails from Viewers and Listeners
- 12/02/2007 —Part 2: Tappen, North Dakota, High Strangeness Provokes Many Emails from Viewers and Listeners
- 11/02/2007 —Part 1: Tappen, North Dakota, High Strangeness Provokes Many Emails from Viewers and Listeners
- 10/02/2007 —Part 12: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 07/02/2007 —Part 11: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 02/02/2007 —Blue Metallic “Blimp” Seen Over O’Hare Airport
- 30/01/2007 —Part 10: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 16/01/2007 —Part 9: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 02/01/2007 —Grey Aerial Disk Reported by Chicago O’Hare United Airlines Pilots and Mechanics
- 31/12/2006 —Part 8: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 27/12/2006 —Part 7: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 18/12/2006 —Part 6: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 11/12/2006 —Part 5: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 06/12/2006 —Part 4: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 29/11/2006 —Part 3: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 28/11/2006 —Part 2: Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue
- 27/11/2006 —Inside Saucer Post …3-0 Blue © 1957 by Leonard H. Stringfield
- 03/11/2006 —Another UFO Retaliation to Radar Lock On – 2003
- 28/10/2006 —Close UFO Encounter by USAF Eyewitnesses
- 26/10/2006 —Norwegian Crashed Disc and Other High Strangeness
- 19/10/2006 —UFO Retaliation to U. S. Army Radar Lock On in Florida, 1967
- 13/04/2006 —High Strangeness In Skies Near White Sands Missile Range
- 12/04/2006 —Part 18 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 11/04/2006 —Part 17 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 05/04/2006 —Part 16 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 03/04/2006 —Genetic Harvest in Cimarron, New Mexico?
- 05/02/2006 —Mysterious Dark Helicopters Over Comal County, Texas
- 29/01/2006 —Part 10 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 27/01/2006 —Part 2: Navy Physicist and USAF Geophysicist Discuss UFOs and ETs
- 20/01/2006 —Part 1: Navy Physicist and USAF Geophysicist Discuss UFOs and ETs
- 17/01/2006 —Part 9 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 13/01/2006 —31st Cattle Mutilation on Red Bluff, California Ranch
- 09/01/2006 —Part 8 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 03/01/2006 —Part 7 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 31/12/2005 —Part 6 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 27/12/2005 —Part 5 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 24/12/2005 —Part 3 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 24/12/2005 —Part 4 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 21/12/2005 —Updated: Part 2 – Peculiar Phenomenon, Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 19/12/2005 —Part 1 – Peculiar Phenomenon: Early United States Efforts to Collect and Analyze Flying Discs
- 21/09/2005 —Silent, Unidentified Aerial Triangle Entered Thunderstorm Over Fairborn, Ohio
- 17/04/2005 —1949 Aerial Disc Covered-Up By Project Blue Book As “Kite”
- 14/04/2005 — “Battle of Los Angeles” On February 25, 1942: When America’s 37th Coast Artillery Brigade Fired Off 1,430 Anti-Aircraft Shells At A UFO
Big Basin Redwood National Park: http://www.bigbasin.org/
NASA Drones: http://uav.wff.nasa.gov/relatedlinks.cfm
Ion Propulsion, NASA: http://nmp.nasa.gov/ds1/tech/ionpropfaq.html
High Power Electric Propulsion Program (HiPEP): http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/ion/present/hipep.htm
Coast to Coast AM Website: http://www.coasttocoastam.com
UFO Casebook: http://www.ufocasebook.com/strangecraftlaketahoe.html
© 1998 - 2018 by Linda Moulton Howe.
All Rights Reserved.